programming bootloader PSoC5lp CY8CKIT-059

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chro_1316281
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

I have an application I am working on with a CY8CKIT-059 Kit to prototype. I have much of the functionality already working. I have to admit it is a great protoype kit for the price.

Here is the piece I am stuck at. I have already read through a bunch of the application notes on bootloaders. I would like to utilize both PSoC5lp devices on the kit. I would like to be able to run the more mission critical code on the main PSoC5lp device and run the host communication and preprocessing of data on the kitprog/bootloader PSoC5lp(along with the existing kitprog/bootloader code).

The current kitprog functionality works great, there are only a couple things I would like to change.

1 Add my custom code to run on the kitprog device and communicate with host preprocess data then send to main PSoc5lp device.

2. change the usb-uart bridge into a USB-UART host receiver on the kitprog and then a USB-UART writer to the main PSoc5lp device.

I couldn't seem to find the source for the kitprog for the CY8CKIT-059 to modify though. One thing I did notice is that the hex file for the kitprog on the CY8CKIT-059 does not seem to be in the firmware directory of the installed kit files. I found the one for the pioneer kit but wasn't sure if they were the same.

I figure my last choice would be to write a custom bootloader/booloadable application from scratch/template. I would think it would much quicker if the existing kitprog source was available.

Anyone have any info that might help?

Thanks,
Chris

0 Likes
5 Replies
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hello

The Kitprog source code  is Cypress proprietary and cannot be shared externally.Please have a look at the older version KitProg Link:https://www.element14.com/community/thread/27067/l/psoc-5lp-programmer-firmware and build your own custom bootloader.

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes

HIMA,

Great that is helpful. It at least gives me a good place to start. I had not seen this searching the web.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
chro_1316281
Level 3
Level 3

Hima,

I also wanted to ask.

I understand that the kitprog source may not be available, but I notice there is requirement during the process of building custom bootloader a firmware hex and elf file(binaries).

In the pioneer kit download the files they are there in a firmware directory, but that directory does not even exist in the CY8CKIT-042 [v2.03] download (just downloaded yesterday)firmware directory .

Would you happen to know if I those are available somewhere or can be made available?? Or can I just use the older hex and elf files from the pioneer kit with creator 3.3 to create my custom bootloader?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
himam_31
Employee
Employee
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hello Chris,

You can use the bootloader .hex and .elf file of any of the Kiprog based kit(Eg: CY8CKIT-042) and create your bootloadable project. While creating bootloadable you need to do Manual Placement and give a specific address ‘0x00002800’.For more details on this Please refer to the KitProg User Guide http://www.cypress.com/file/157966/download

Thanks,

Hima

0 Likes
chro_1316281
Level 3
Level 3

Hima,

Great thanks for all the help!!

0 Likes