license limits optimization to level 5

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

another problem when I switch from debug to Release built: what is this warning and why it does not show up in debug built, but come out in Release built? Thanks,

*** MESSAGE C286 IN LINE 0 OF (null): license limits optimization to level 5

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

This is where Keil wants to make a bit of money with. The free C-compiler is limited in the optimization level which is probably set to zero (0) in debug and set to larger than 5 in release mode. The effect of optimizing is not as dramatic as one may hope, but when your project really gets tight in flash-memory (after switching off ECC) you will have to buy Keil's compiler. I remember that a forum member dis this and was a bit dissapointed about the small effect of using better optimization.

Bob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

This is where Keil wants to make a bit of money with. The free C-compiler is limited in the optimization level which is probably set to zero (0) in debug and set to larger than 5 in release mode. The effect of optimizing is not as dramatic as one may hope, but when your project really gets tight in flash-memory (after switching off ECC) you will have to buy Keil's compiler. I remember that a forum member dis this and was a bit dissapointed about the small effect of using better optimization.

Bob

user_1377889 wrote:

I remember that a forum member dis this and was a bit dissapointed about the small effect of using better optimization.

Disappointed in the improvement in speed or in size?

There's no way to try the professional compiler and see how much it improves the size before spending $2000 on it, is there?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I will just ignore the message then.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Code optimisation for 8051 can be achieved using various methods. If you are limited on Flash size and need to sqeeze in additional code by optmising the existing code, you might want to check out this App Note, 

PSoC 3 - 8051 Code Optimization  - AN60630

0 Likes