difference between Psoc 1, 3 & 5

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

can anyone let me know where i can find on this site the differences between PSoC 1, 3 and 5.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You ought to have a look at the video-demos to get a feeling for the differences of the PSoC1 to 3 and 5.

PSoC3 and PSoC5 only differ (yes, I admitt, there are SOME more differences) in the embedded MPU. For PSoC3 it is an 8051 and for PSoC5 it is an Arm Cortex 3 Processor core.

Happy Coding

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
24 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You ought to have a look at the video-demos to get a feeling for the differences of the PSoC1 to 3 and 5.

PSoC3 and PSoC5 only differ (yes, I admitt, there are SOME more differences) in the embedded MPU. For PSoC3 it is an 8051 and for PSoC5 it is an Arm Cortex 3 Processor core.

Happy Coding

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Srinath,

As Bob Marlowe has already said, the CPUs used in PSoC 1, 3 and 5 are different. However, there are other changes with respect to speed, analog and digital resources and the development IDEs used to build project (PSoC 1 projects are created using PSoC Designer and PSoC 3/5 using PSoC Creator ).

This table below highlights the main difference between the three families of PSoC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Dasg that was very helpful.

Now I have another doubt. How can I find the particular PSoC device that I'm looking for i.e.

if I have a capacative sensing project to do I know I have to go for any one of these CY8C20x66A, CY8C20x36A, CY8C20x46A, CY8C20x96A, CY8C20xx6AS, CY8C20xx6H as they have that required module I'm looking for.

But what if  I have any other requirement other thaan capsense, how am i suppose to serch for that part no. Do I have to read each and every dataheet till i get it or Is there any other way out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Srinath,

It is possible to search for a part according to your requirement by using the "Parametric Product Selector".

The link for this is http://www.cypress.com/?id=1573

There are several parameters based on which you can select the device like

1) Flash Size

2) SRAM

3) Package

4) Min Operating Temperature

5) Max Operating Temperature

6) Automative qualified

7) Number of Capsense IOs

😎 Sliders

9) Number of GPIOs

10) Number of Programmable Digital Blocks

11) Communication Interface

etc

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Srinath,

There is also another way to narrow down on the device.

While creating your project using PSoC Designer, you can choose the device by selecting the "View Catalog".

The device catalog window appears which also gives a list of components and you can filter out the device according to the features required for your project.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how will I know which psoc belongs to which family like psoc 1,3 or 5

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Srinath,

Going by the nomenclature, PSoC1 devices are named as CY8C2xxxx, like CY8C29466.

PSoC 3 devices can be CY8C32xx, CY8C34xx, CY8C36xx or CY8C38xx.

PSoC 5 devices can be CY8C52xx, CY8C53xx, CY8C54xx or CY8C55xx.

PSoC Designer gives option only for PSoC1 devices and doesn't list PSoC3 or PSoC5 devices.

On contrary, PSoC Creator doesn't list PSoC1 devices and supports PSoC3 and PSoC5.

If you are using PSoC Programmer for programming the device, you can program all three families of PSoC by selecting the appropriate programming mode and the required hex file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You mean it is not possible to program a PSoC 1 device like CY8C29666 using PSoC Creator

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Right, you need the program PSoC Designer, which is free as well. The way to define your hardware inside the PSoC differs from 3 & 5 and the (free) C-compiler is a bit different too.

Happy coding

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

You do not need PSoC creator nor PSoC designer to program the chip, you only need psoc programer to program the the PSoC. However, to devolope and debug software for PSoC1 you need PSoC designer, to devlope software for PSOC3/5 you need PSoC creator. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you bob and lleung

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Psoc 1,3,5 has basic diff in their core and operating speed mainly

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Psoc 1 has m3 core and 4mips speed

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Psoc3 has 8051 core and 33 mips

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Psoc 5 has arm cortex m3 and highest operating speed in hundred MIPS 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Psoc 3 is best for starting up project and work on psoc

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

And when debugging PSoC1 you'll need an In-Circuit-Emulator (ICE-Cube) which connects to your target-device while PSoC3 and 5 already have debug-capabilities built-in..

To start with: There are some rather helpfull development kits: look here http://www.cypress.com/?id=2218&source=header. My favorit one is the Kit-001 which comes with three exchangeable processor modules, PSoC1, PSoC3 and PSoC5 and a programmer (MiniProg3) whith which you can not only program any of those.but having full debug-capabilities as setting breakpoints, looking at registers/memory areas or (named)variables, even an access breakpoint is availlable which halts execution when a variable is changed by your program.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given
0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

A couple more differences in families -

PSOC 1 has some smaller pin count packages that 3/5.

PSOC 1 device costs ~ 50% of 3/5, some 80%.

PSOC 3/5 routing better, more flexible than PSOC 1.

PSOC 3/5 can have mixed verilog/module design, PSOC 1 is essentially module only.

PSOC 3/5 extensive random logic capability, state machines, PSOC 1 very limited in random logic.

PSOC 1/3 Harvard, 5 RISC ARM, translate core, addressing, symmetry in ARM much better performance and code density.

PSOC 3/5 DMA, PSOC 1 none, big deal in offloading CPU MIPS consumption.

PSOC 1 Counters, timers, depending on design, can be clocked faster that PSOC 3/5, unless verilog used. General datasheet misleading on this, see specific 3/5 module timing data.

PSOC 1 Switch cap filters, 3/5 Digital (if OAs based filter topologies not considered) . There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

PSOC 3/5 analog generally better characterized/speced, than PSOC 1

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Psoc 3 is best suited option for students as it has 8051 core

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Sorry, but i do disagree with you!

8051 is a rather old design which makes it very difficult to get a clean-working C-compiler. The existing Keil solution struggles a lot with the 8051 memory-areas, nearly no stack, and excessive program-code to access memory on a heap or simulated stack. Even the architecture of the PSoC1's M8C is cleaner and more straight-forward.

I think the very best solution for embedded µPs is (nowadays) ARM, let it be M0 or M3. Rather difficult to program in assembler but a charm under C or C++. And: Millions of cell- and smartphones show ARM's power and versatility.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The 8051 was introduced in 1980 by Intel, who long ago stopped support for a lot of good reasons.

The singular stand out problem is the non symmetrical address architecture. Translate not all instructions work on all memory locations, which complicates the Compiler design, code density and performance suffers, makes it difficult for the ASM coder, and not the least the microcode is compromised because of the increased complexity attached to a non uniform address space.

The 8051, by almost any measure, should have lasted < 10 years, but so many vendors started support early on, however now long since withdrawn, it led to cheap design tools, a plethora of compilers, gobs of “safe” low risk mentality in design community. I will be taken to task for this, engineers are as a whole, are conservative, risk adverse.  Time stood still on this architecture far too long.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to use psoc3 but in psoc designer 5.2 I could not find psoc3's family.     

Howe can I add or use psoc3?     

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

PSOC 3, 4, 5 supported by a much more capable tool than Designer called Creator.

This following should help -

www.cypress.com/     Download Creator

www.cypress.com/     Training videos on Creator

www.cypress.com/      Applications notes on PSOC 3/4/5 and Creator

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes