Using the Del-Sig-ADC to measure voltage Problem with calibration

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am trying to measure a voltage over a resistor to get it´s value, my problem is that i can not calibrate the ADC to measure the correct voltage.

I tried to measure the offset manually as recommended in the AN84783 "Accurate Measurement Using PSoC 3 and PSoC 5LP Delta - Sigma ADCs" that gave me a value of 42942, which makes absolutely no sense, then i tried to calculate two known points into a function to eliminate offset and gain error, but that did not help either.

After that i tried to implement the two-point-calibration from the ADC-VoltageInp Example project, that does not help.

I think i did something basically wrong, could someone please take a look at my project and tell me where i screwed up?

I am using the CY8C5888LTI-LP097 Prototyping Board, and Creator 3.3, attached for you is a picture of my circuit that is on the breadboard now. I need to switch between the reference resistors to measure a bigger range of resistors. I measured the internal resistances from the PSoC and added them to the values, thats why they look so strange.

If you need further information please let me know, I hope i have translated all necessary comments in the SW into english.

Thanks for your help, Greetings, Patrick

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You are not measuring the reference Voltage at pin V3out. Place an AMUX in front of ADC and swich the channels with a control register.

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

thank you for your advice, I tried to what you told me, the result is in the graphic attached, but I can´t get it working.

I tried to have the Vss in the ADC by enabling "Enable Vref/Vssa" and connecting it to ground over a pin, but that was not successful.

When i have a resistor of 2.7kOhms as Rx to measure the voltage over it the multimeter shows 3.755V and the ADC shows 3.763V. But the main Problem is that the voltage I am expecting is around 4.65V (Rx/Rx+Rref)*Ub = (2700/2700+200)*5V.

Where am I losing that voltage?

Thank you for your help, Greetings, Patrick

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

There is a resistor intern to the AMux switch, use the cydwr view, switch to analog and use the ohmmeter to estimate internal R

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help, i measured and corrected the values for the resistors.

For this test I did not use any corrections for the offset, etc, thats just the values directly from the ADC and the ADC_Del_CountsTo_uVolts(ADC_Del_GetResult32) -function.

The problem with the calibration still exists, when i point the wire from the ADC to ground (0V) it shows a value of 42949 and a voltage value of 4294967224 (that´s in µV so it would be 4294 V, that´s impossible!? ), is that some sort of a over/underflow? When i point the wire to Vdd it shows a value of 44431 and a voltage of 5.086721 V, even if Vdd is only 4.7V on the USB-Programming adapter.

Any Tips to get correct measurements?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

4294967224 is a 32bit uint, as an int32 it would represent the value -72 which is quite reasonable.

Your reference voltage is set to VDDA. You told (in .cydwr view/System) that it is 5.0V. So when it is not 5V (4.7) the conversion cannot be correct.

I would suggest you to

• Use the internal VRef of 1.024 V up to 6*VRef
  •     
  • Bypass VRef on P0_3 with 1µF
  •     
  • Change your input resistor ladder accordingly.
  •    

Bob

0 Likes