USB Connectivity Problem with CY8CKIT-062-BLE PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
mikro
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

CY8CKIT-062-BLE PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit is not recognized as an USB Device. It is not possible to establish a connection between PC and the BLE Pioneer Kit for flashing the binary. It is also not possible to restore the on-board PSoC 5LP CY8C5868LTI-LP039 programmer firmware KitProg2.

0 Likes
7 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

It's possible Kitprog2 is in Mass Storage Mode.   Try to exit this mode:

Follow these steps to enter or exit the Mass Storage Programmer mode of KitProg2:
1. Connect the kit to the PC. Ensure that the amber status LED is ON and not blinking. See section
10.1 KitProg2 Status LED Indication on page 71 for details on the status LED indications. Amber
status LED ON indicates that the current configuration is KitProg2 Programmer and Debugger.

2. Press and release the mode switch within two seconds. The KitProg2 re-enumerates as a Mass
Storage Programmer/CMSIS-DAP programmer if the previous configuration is PPCOM programmer and debugger. The amber status LED stops glowing indicating that the kit is in Mass Storage
Programming/CMSIS-DAP programming mode.

3. The KitProg2 remains in the selected mode until you change the mode manually using the mode
switch. To exit the Mass Storage Programming mode, press and release the mode switch within
two seconds. The amber status LED is continuously ON, indicating that the KitProg2 is in the
KitProg2 Programmer and Debugger mode.

Let us know what the LED is doing.

0 Likes

Hello,

with the above instructions I tried to exit the Mass Storage Mode but without success.

1. Connecting the Kit to the PC then the amber status LED is OFF.  Only the power LED is ON

2. Pressing and realesing the mode switch within two seconds switches all status LEDs to ON

3. It is still not possible to get amber LED = ON, green LED = OFF and red LED = OFF

It seems that the USB enumeration is unsuccessful.

I appreciate any further guideline.

0 Likes

Hi mikro.

Okay, that is very weird when all status LEDs switch to ON condition.
You are correct, it is not enumerating properly.

Just a guess, can you use a different USB cable?
I had used a USB charging cable by mistake and couldn't get it to enumerate.  USB charging cables do not have data wires.

Can you try a different USB port on PC?

Lastly, ask the same question on PSoC 6 forum page.  Maybe more response there.

regards.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have checked the original USB cable from the Kit for data transmission - it is OK.

To use another USB port, did not solve the problem.

It should be possible to reflash the KitProg2 (PSoC5 LP) programmer chip via custom application header J7 with KitProg2.hex with an external programmer probe. I have no MiniProg3 debugger available and this Power Cycle option for the programming mode seems to be a specific feature. 

Do you think a J-Link debugger using SWD protocol could also do the job?

Regards.

0 Likes

Hi mikro.

It should be possible to re-FLASH Kitprog2 using Jlink.  I don't have a Jlink programmer, but several users in the forum have done it.

Kitprog2 also has a bootloader.  I would follow Kitprog2 manual (chapter 10.2.1.1) for re-installing Kitprog2 bootloadable application.  The most important aspect is to get Kitprog2 into bootloader mode.  While holding the mode button on Kitprog2, insert it into USB port.  Then, follow the instructions in chapter 10.2.1.1.

I know you already tried the above, but did you HOLD the mode button while inserting into USB?

Sometimes I had to get into bootloader mode before opening the PSoC Programmer.  Sometimes, I had to open PSoC Programmer before inserting Kitprog2.

Alternatively, you can use Creator/Tools/Bootloader Host, to re-program the bootloadable.  This method is documented in original Kitprog documentation.  It also works for Kitprog2 (I don't know why Cypress omitted it from Kitprog2 doc's, unless they didn't include the kitprog2.cyacd file along with Creator installation).

0 Likes

Hi,

it is not possible to get Kitprog2 into bootloader mode.  I have tried both methods: Holding down the mode button then connection the Kit to USB, releasing the button, before starting the PSoC Programmer or afterwards does not bring the Kit into bootloader mode. All status LEDs are ON. I have no idea what else to do.

0 Likes

Hello mikro.

I've run out of idea's too.

You would need another Kitprog to program the one on Pioneer board, or a Miniprog programmer.  I'm not familiar with PSoC6 Pioneer board, so I don't know if it's possible or not.

You should post the question on PSoC6 forum page.

I hope one of the Cypress people can help you out.

0 Likes