Programming CY8C5566LTI-017 with PSOC Creator 4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
watson
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

We are creating some test boards using an old Cypress chip (CY8C5566LTI-017), and we are wondering if there's any way to program this chip using PSOC Creator 4. I found the community post explaining that the LP equivalent of the CY8C5566LTI-017 is the CY8C5866LTI-LP022. Would we be able to program the old chip in PSOC Creator 4 by making the LP equivalent the target device?

0 Likes
1 Solution
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

The 5LP you mention is functionally similar to PSoC 5, with some added features.  But, not 100% identical.  That 5LP is simply a good substitute for the older device.

To answer the second part of your question, a "5LP" load can not be programmed into "5" device because the device ID is read at the start of the programming sequence.  The 5LP ID will mismatch the 5 device ID and the programming will halt.  Just a thought..., if you use PSoC Programmer and create a control sequence with PSoC Programmer CLI (or the COM), you could leave out the device ID check.  I don't know if that will work or not.

Some people have suggested to edit the hex file and manually change the 5LP ID (or via a script).  This may be problematic as there are checksums that may need modification as well.

I found this appnote, AN84741, about the 5-to-5LP migration and it lists the differences.
PSoC® 5 to PSoC 5LP Migration Guide - AN84741 (cypress.com)

BTW, you can install an earlier version of PSoC Creator along side Creator 4.  I think you'd need Creator 2.x for PSoC 5 (I checked Creator 3 and there's no CY8C55xx support).
PSoC Creator Release Notes Archive (cypress.com)  is an archive of earlier PSoC Creator releases along with release notes.

If you go the route of installing Creator 2.x, I'd do it on a different computer.  The component libraries are quite different between different releases and it causes a lot of grief.

BTW, PSoC Programmer 3.28 supports CY8C55xx devices.

Good luck with your project.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

The 5LP you mention is functionally similar to PSoC 5, with some added features.  But, not 100% identical.  That 5LP is simply a good substitute for the older device.

To answer the second part of your question, a "5LP" load can not be programmed into "5" device because the device ID is read at the start of the programming sequence.  The 5LP ID will mismatch the 5 device ID and the programming will halt.  Just a thought..., if you use PSoC Programmer and create a control sequence with PSoC Programmer CLI (or the COM), you could leave out the device ID check.  I don't know if that will work or not.

Some people have suggested to edit the hex file and manually change the 5LP ID (or via a script).  This may be problematic as there are checksums that may need modification as well.

I found this appnote, AN84741, about the 5-to-5LP migration and it lists the differences.
PSoC® 5 to PSoC 5LP Migration Guide - AN84741 (cypress.com)

BTW, you can install an earlier version of PSoC Creator along side Creator 4.  I think you'd need Creator 2.x for PSoC 5 (I checked Creator 3 and there's no CY8C55xx support).
PSoC Creator Release Notes Archive (cypress.com)  is an archive of earlier PSoC Creator releases along with release notes.

If you go the route of installing Creator 2.x, I'd do it on a different computer.  The component libraries are quite different between different releases and it causes a lot of grief.

BTW, PSoC Programmer 3.28 supports CY8C55xx devices.

Good luck with your project.

Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Adding to @BiBi_1928986's response, programming the hex file into a different device is not recommended. Please refer to this thread for further details - Can I program one hex file into different type PSoC? 

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes