PSoC for Battery charging,discharging and BMS

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AA_77
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

I am looking for a PSoC for Li-Ion battery charging, discharging and BMS integrated application. I found PSoC 3 and PSoC 5LP based design for single cell Li-Ion. However it is only for charging and BMS of single cell. I also want similar on the load side of the battery that can be programmable. Also for a 4S1P or 5S1P battery pack with 24V/upto 6A max output. Kindly advise. 

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

AA_77,

I'm not a battery expert but here's a link to Infineon-related products to perform BMS functions.

battery-management-system 

Maybe they can help.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

AA_77,

I'm not a battery expert but here's a link to Infineon-related products to perform BMS functions.

battery-management-system 

Maybe they can help.

Len
0 Likes
AA_77
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Len. I did visit this link and found the PSoC 3 and 5LP which prompted this query on the forum. I will further study the links and see. 

Thanks

Ani

0 Likes

AA_77,

I'm very familiar with the PSoC5LP and somewhat with the PSoC3.  IMHO, they're excellent products with great analog (and of course digital) capabilities.   

However, since I'm not familiar with the needs of a BMS regarding Li-Ion batteries, it might be a good idea to explore the ASIC solutions provided by Infineon.   Many ASICs have embedded silicon designed to handle high voltages (you mentioned 24V) and high current (you mentioned 6A).  The PSoC5 and PSoC3 max out at 5.5V.  They are signal-level MPUs.

Where many ASICs lack is the ability to general programming capability to provide good HMI (Human/Machine Interfaces).   The PSoC5 and PSoC3 have the ability for sophisticated communication interfaces to monitor a BMS ASIC and provide feedback to the user via LED, TFT displays or even Terminal Host communication (ie UART).   

In addition, many ASICs need to be commanded to perform specific functions.  This is where the PSoCs can be used.

Len
0 Likes
AA_77
Level 1
Level 1

OK thanks Len. I will take a look at ASIC solutions.

TC

0 Likes

AA_77,

I've know others to use the PSoC5 to control battery charging and other BMS-type functions.

However due to the voltage and drive limitation of the PSoC MPU, it still needs external FETs and transistors and other external components (resistors, caps, inductors, diodes, etc).

Many times a well designed ASIC can minimize the externals.

Len
0 Likes