PSoC 5LP with Google Protocol Buffers?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to set up google's protocol buffers on my PSoC board so I can send the compressed data to a python script for interpreation. I was curious if anyone else has already done this or something similar. Any help or suggestions are welcome. Let me know if there is more specific information you want.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Probably you need an internet connection to your PSoC board first before looking for protocols. Make a keyword search (at top of this page) for keywords like "LAN", "Ethernet" or "TCP"

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Actually networking is not needed. Protocol bufers are just a serialization mechanism, and are independent from the transport mechanism. So they can be used for serial ports or CAN (the tutorials work with binary files instead). (See the overview)

You probably also don't want to use the standard protobuf compiler, since it generated C++ code. Instead I suggest using the protobuf-embedded-c project

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As hli stated, I already have the transport mechanism handled, I simply need an embedded version of the protobuffer that can serialize my data and to be able to set up the Python version to interpret the data on the other end.
I will look into this embedded protoc.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hli, I don't see how I would go about setting up the embeded systems protobuffer on the psoc board. Is there a way to include this functionality through PSoC creator that I dont know about?

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

You would need to run the protoc compiler externally. When it has finished creating the code, just copy it into your project, just like code you have written manually. (And when you do some changes to the protocol definiton you need to do it tagain)

There is no facility in Creator to handle this automatically.

0 Likes