PI controller using opamp with -ve output

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

I am trying to implement a PI controller for a power converter. Attached is the schematic diagram of the analog part that I want to implement on PSoC-5LP.
The problem is that PI's opamp output is -ve and opamps in PSoC do not support  a -ve voltage. 
Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

0 Likes
8 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received
        You can't use a negative voltage on PsoC parts . You will need an external Opamp.   
0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.
But the problem remained intact as I am using PI controller whose output is -ve and input is +ve (in simulation results in PSIM).

0 Likes
EvPa_264126
Level 7
Level 7
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 likes received

It is not difficult to create using a converter TIA or OPAMP

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply!

But, TIA also couldn't solve the problem. If you see the attached pic (with my first post), there is -ve signal in between two opamps. So, the problem is that when I feed a +ve signal to the opamp1 the output will be -ve and will go to the input of the opamp2.  With power supply range of 0 to +ve of opamp1 (i.e., opamps in psoc), at output I only get 0 instead of the -ve output.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

When you set Vref to +ve/2 all will be good.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In fact, the range of Vref is relative to the +ve input (from a current sensor) to opamp1. So, if I will keep Vref/2 (0.5) eventually input to opamp1 will also be 0.5 because, Its a PI controller loop. Long story short, the output of opamp1 will remain -ve. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem solved using external opamps IC with dual power supply.  

0 Likes