Moving forward

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I would really like opinions on this question:

I current produce a Amateur Radio device (transceiver) that uses the PSoC 3 48 pin SSOP (CY8C3246PVI-147).  Which newer device is most compatible with the PSoC 3 from both a hardware and software perspectives?  I know that no newer chip has the 48 pin SSOP foot print and I will need bite the bullet on that one.  Which newer chip allow me to move my application to it with the minium changes required?  I have had the opportunity to work with a number MCUs over the past couple of years, and still find that Cypress has the absolute best hardware and IDE platform available.  The only down side is from a hobbyist perspective, in that I will need to change the way I present kits.  Moving forward I will need to provide kits that have the PSoC pre-installed. 

Regards,

Ron

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Did you try (on a copy of your project) to select a PSoC5 of your choice and just compile the project? Most components and code will run & compile without any changes.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Did you try (on a copy of your project) to select a PSoC5 of your choice and just compile the project? Most components and code will run & compile without any changes.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

No, and good point.  I will research which PSoC 5 has the smallest foot print (meaning the least number of pins) as a starting point. Them move on from there if that provides to be to too difficult to configure due to lack of available components and the like.

Regards,

Ron

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

A follow up question.  Yes, I'm being a bit lazy.  What are the major differences between the PSoC 4 and the PSoC 5.  If there is a handy comparison document, please point me in that direction.  A migration document would be handy. The design requirements are

1) Compatible components with the PSoC 3 (USB, I2C, I2S)

2) Low cost (Very important for my target customer base)

I have reviewed the PSoC 5 and it is has very favorable features.  However, I understand the PSoC 4 can be less expensive (but I may have that wrong)

Regards,

Ron

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Well, as usual: It depends.

Both PSoC family members have limited resources, so the main questions are:

When a project fits into the (larger) PSoC5 does it fit into the (cheaper) PSoC4?

The similar components are comparable but not necessarily compatible, the APIs and some capabilities may differ.

There are some components available in a PSoC5 that you will not find in a PSoC4, the digital filter, PGAs, Delta-Sigma ADCs, the number of UDBs (24 vs. 4) and the freely routable IO-matrix. I can assure you: when you worked some time with PSoCs (not being lazy) you will pick the right one intuitively.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bob and thanks for the advice.

One of my associates has ordered the PSoC 4 development board and I have ordered the PSoC 5 development board.  I suppose we could have a friendly contest to see who crosses the finish line first when it comes to moving the current PSoC 3 solution to the newer architectures.  

Ron

0 Likes