Importance of saturation instructions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Many of you may not be aware of what saturation instructions do in PSoC 5LP. PSoC 5LP uses Cortex-M3 core which has two special instructions called "SSAT" (Signed saturation) and "USAT" (Unsigned saturation). These instructions are used to limit a variable or a value to a certain number of bits. (Reference:

For example,  if you have an 8 bit variable and for sure if you know that the value of the variable will not exceed a number 127 say, you would like to round off any value above 127 as 127 itself ( saturation) and any value below 0 as zero itself. In this case you need to write a big C code using if-else conditional statement to compare the variable with 127 and take the necessary action. Instead, to simplify this logic, you can make use of the saturation assembly instructions which Cortex-M3 (core of PSoC 5LP) supports. Please note that both GCC and MDK compilers do not append this instruction by itself for an equivalent C code.

For example, in the above example, the number of bits to restrict my result to would be 7 (2^7-1 = 127). Assuming I have the unsaturated value in register r0 and if I would like to store the saturated result in register r3, my assembly instruction would be

"usat r3, 8, r0"

Similar syntax is for signed saturation for specifying a positive limit and a negative limit for a signed variable. I hope you know the syntax to include an assembly instruction in C code.

Regards,
Asha

Note:

FYI, if you would like to assign a variable to a particular register, the syntax is "register (data type)* variable_name asm("register name");"

For example: register uint8* output asm ("r0");

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just adding one more point on the usage of saturation instruction based on the compiler- (GCC or MDK )

While using GCC compiler, as mentioned above, we need to use the registers. eg: asm(“USAT r3,8,r0");

So first  we need to store the variables that will contain the unsaturated and saturated results using the syntax given in the first post.

However, for MDK compilers you can directly use the local variables along with this instruction and there is no need to specify the registers:

eg: __asm(“ssat data_sat,8,data_unsat");

Regards

PSoC Wonders

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to learn somthing new. However, except for some time critial functions, most project managers would prefer to use high level language. 

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

@Asha, as you point out the feature of staurating arithmetic very importent to high

performance DSP applications, which C solution would severly impact, eg. sample

rate, etc..

Coupled with inline C makes it easy to implement.

Interesting.  Makes me wonder how much code space/speed could be saved/improved in replacement

of ....

var = ( var > 10 ) ? 10, var + 1;                     // type of constructs.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

... not too much code. Since your given "10" from your example will not work (it is not a power of two) we have to rewite the above example to

var = (var > 127)?0:var+1; // Remember: C needs a colon to separate the two values

I've built an example project to see how many instructions will be needed to perform the wanted task. I had to add some hardware, so GCC did not optimize out all my code (wich really did happen!! No code left in main()).

Additionally it took me some time to understand the result in main.lst which does what I wrote but does not look like what I wrote.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

I did indeed mistype the test statement. You can see where I spend most of my

time in a design.....

As I was doing the post I wondered (but did not do my homework) if saturation

was limited to power of two, thanks for clarifiying that.

As an aside in posting a recent sine generator using IIR and positive fdbk I experimented

with seed values and got the middle example shown below because I did not use sat

arithmetic.

0 Likes
lock attach
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

The image that did not post, attached - (Grrrrr....)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

... turns out to be a complicated way to write "MWMW"  

Bob

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Multiwavelength Milky Way? (http://mwmw.gsfc.nasa.gov/)

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Thanx for the link, hli. It reminded me of the take-off at Cape Caneveral of the mars-mission MAVEN.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Yes, the example given by you ( var = (var > 127)?0:var+1;) is right. However, the saturation limit is restricted to 2^n-1 where you can specify the value of n.

Though most of them prefer using high level C code, this operand might be useful for DSP operations.

Regards,
Asha

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just adding one more point on the usage of saturation instruction based on the compiler- (GCC or MDK )

While using GCC compiler, as mentioned above, we need to use the registers. eg: asm(“USAT r3,8,r0");

So first  we need to store the variables that will contain the unsaturated and saturated results using the syntax given in the first post.

However, for MDK compilers you can directly use the local variables along with this instruction and there is no need to specify the registers:

eg: __asm(“ssat data_sat,8,data_unsat");

Regards

PSoC Wonders

0 Likes