I2C/Not getting past I2C_MasterSendStart()

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
miwrc_4037386
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently using a PSOC5LP and trying to interface an ADXL345 Accelerometer using I2C. My goal at the moment is to simply read one byte from the accelerometer which corresponds to the device's ID. I have the PSOC as the master and the Accelerometer as the slave. Through stepping through the code in the debugger as well as printing to the LCD display, I have found that I am able to successfully send a I2C_MasterSendStart(). I verified that this was the case because the function always returns I2C_MSTR_NO_ERROR. The problem arises when I try to write the specific slave (Accelerometer) address over to the slave so that I can read from it. The function call "status = I2C_MasterWriteByte(address)" always returns I2C_MSTR_NOT_READY.

One of the things I have been thinking about is the setup and hold times for writing to and reading from the slave. However, I don't think that should be a big issue considering the speed of the link should a good speed to handle those issues.

Mitchell

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I tested your program with HIH6130 (address = 0x27) and MSS (Marubun Sensor Shield),

which has 10K pull-up for both SDA and SCL.

IMG_3377S.JPG

And inside the debugger at least I could iterate the for(;;) loop a few times with step through.

So I suppose if you connect an external I2C device with 10K pull-ups the program may work OK.

My PSoC Creator Debug screen, the cursor is at devID = I2C_MaterReadByte(I2C_NAK_DATA),

which means the program has passed previous lines without error.

Note: As I'm using debugger, this might not be the problem but if you run the loop without any delay

may be some I2C device can not deal with the repeat.

000-Debug-Screen.JPG

Attached is your project with my modification for HIH6130 and using UART instead of LCD.

moto

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
lock attach
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I tested your program with HIH6130 (address = 0x27) and MSS (Marubun Sensor Shield),

which has 10K pull-up for both SDA and SCL.

IMG_3377S.JPG

And inside the debugger at least I could iterate the for(;;) loop a few times with step through.

So I suppose if you connect an external I2C device with 10K pull-ups the program may work OK.

My PSoC Creator Debug screen, the cursor is at devID = I2C_MaterReadByte(I2C_NAK_DATA),

which means the program has passed previous lines without error.

Note: As I'm using debugger, this might not be the problem but if you run the loop without any delay

may be some I2C device can not deal with the repeat.

000-Debug-Screen.JPG

Attached is your project with my modification for HIH6130 and using UART instead of LCD.

moto

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

At first sight: The returned i2c status is a bit field, so

if (status == I2C_MSTR_BUS_BUSY) should be replaced with

if (status & I2C_MSTR_BUS_BUSY). Same for all the other occurrences.

Datasheet for the device says (Pg. 18)

the 7-bit I2C address for the device is 0x1D when the ALT ADDRESS pin is high

Since the component uses 7 bit addresses you should (test) change your slave address to 0x1D

What is the value of the pull up resistors for sda and scl? Are you using a CY9CKIT-059??

There is some internal logic connected to P12_0 and _1 to care for different supply voltages, This may conflict with the VREF controlled pins that you use.

Bob

0 Likes