FreeSoC2 Development Board - PSoC5LP what is it FPGA or ASIC ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

hello I am currently using FreeSoC2 Development Board - PSoC5LP my question is simple .

Psoc is it FPGA or ASIC or both ? I am a bit confused

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

"Psoc is it FPGA or ASIC or both ?" The answer is "Neither" 😉

PSoCs consist of a CPU (PSoC4 has got an ARM Cortex M0)  and a bunch (the amount depends on PSoC family and type) of internal configurable hardware. The connections between the hardware modules are set in the design phase and will be programmed together with all the other settings into the chip.  There are some Universal Digital Blocks (UDBs) which can be programmed using a Hardware Definition Language (HDL) named "Warp Verilog" but these aren't FPGA. ASICs usually aren't user programmable as the PSoCs are.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

"Psoc is it FPGA or ASIC or both ?" The answer is "Neither" 😉

PSoCs consist of a CPU (PSoC4 has got an ARM Cortex M0)  and a bunch (the amount depends on PSoC family and type) of internal configurable hardware. The connections between the hardware modules are set in the design phase and will be programmed together with all the other settings into the chip.  There are some Universal Digital Blocks (UDBs) which can be programmed using a Hardware Definition Language (HDL) named "Warp Verilog" but these aren't FPGA. ASICs usually aren't user programmable as the PSoCs are.

Bob

0 Likes
AlanH_86
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored

It is pure magic.... amazing engineering with some awesome sauce spread on top.

That being said.. Bob's answer is more technically correct.

0 Likes