CY8CKIT-059 remove KitProg

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dahec_263886
Level 1
Level 1

I am using several CY8CKIT-059 's in my project. On one (my Master) I use the UART on the KitProg end. On the other 8 (Slaves), I do not need the UART. I removed the KitProg from the target boards and installed  5 pin m/f headers so I can program them. That works. But I cannot use the UART. Should I be able to use it if I reconnect the KitProg with the 5 pins inthe header?

On the slaves I had used the UART for debugging but I do not need it. When I removed the KitProg, I found they would not operate correctly until I removed references to the UART from my code. Is that normal?

I noticed that when I snapped the KitProg from the board, there appeared to several PCB traces in addition to the obvious 5 pins. I cannot find an accurate schematic of the boards.  Are ther more than the five connections between the target an dprogrammer?

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Please note that Kitprog acts as a USB-UART bridge to the target device as shown below:

kitprog2.PNG

So, on the slaves if you snap off the Kitprog and want UART for debugging purposes, then follow these steps:

#1: You can program the target using the 5 pin M/F headers

#2: You must unpopulate R22, R23 to isolate UART_TX and UART_RX lines of the Kitprog from the target

#3: Connect the FTDI (USB to Serial converter) on these pins to observe the serial output

Using the Kitprog on the slaves for UART seems like a better option. So, you could consider connecting it back.

The signals coming in to the target from the Kitprog are shown below:

kitprog.PNG

The link to the schematic can be found here: https://www.cypress.com/file/443786/download

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Please note that Kitprog acts as a USB-UART bridge to the target device as shown below:

kitprog2.PNG

So, on the slaves if you snap off the Kitprog and want UART for debugging purposes, then follow these steps:

#1: You can program the target using the 5 pin M/F headers

#2: You must unpopulate R22, R23 to isolate UART_TX and UART_RX lines of the Kitprog from the target

#3: Connect the FTDI (USB to Serial converter) on these pins to observe the serial output

Using the Kitprog on the slaves for UART seems like a better option. So, you could consider connecting it back.

The signals coming in to the target from the Kitprog are shown below:

kitprog.PNG

The link to the schematic can be found here: https://www.cypress.com/file/443786/download

Regards,

Dheeraj

Thank you. This is an enormous help. It will take me a while to process it all but I think it is what I need to know.

0 Likes

One more question if I may.

On your advice, I had another look at the USB (micro) on the target end. I adapted the Code Example and made that work. Is it possible for the USBFS_UART to generate an interrupt on one or more characters received?

0 Likes

There are ISRs for each endpoints inside the file USBUART_episr.c. You can add your code in the OUT EP. When host is sending data to device OUT EP ISR will be triggered. Please consider creating a new thread if you have more queries regarding this.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes