CY8CKIT-059 looks correct in Device Manager but not recognized by PSoC Creator 4.2

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
coolbeans
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like received First reply posted

Greetings,

I am trying to get a CY8CKIT-059 PSoC 5LP up and running on Windows 10. Unfortunately, after getting everything installed, the device will not appear as an available Debug Target in PSoC Creator 4.2, and I am getting pretty frustrated! Here are the steps I followed:

1.) Run the CY8CKIT-059 Kit Setup installer linked from the device page on cypress.com. Image of download link follows. This installs Creator 4.2, Programmer 3.27.1, and all the support files.

dl.PNG

2.) Plug in the device (with "snap off" programmer attached) and check Device Manager. The install of drivers was successful because I see the device correctly recognized under the Ports section. See image.

dm.PNG

3. Launch PSoC Creator and create a new project targeting this device model and using the HelloWorld_Blinky1 example app. Image attached of the device I chose when starting the project.

np.PNG

4.) Attempt to Program the device. Here's the trouble: The dialog where I would choose a target is blank! See image.

dt.PNG

The Creator is making *some* kind of recognition here because when I attempt this again after UNplugging the device, message appears in that same window saying "Port Aquire Failed, No Devices Detected."

I have tried uninstalling all software, restarting Windows, reinstalling, and restarting again before plugging in the device and opening the app, nothing changes.

I have also tried manually updating the drivers to "KitProg2 USB-UART" which come with the software install. No difference.

I have also tried running the Creator Update Manager and updating everything possible, which were an update to the Programmer and a download of Creator 4.4. Neither of these updates changed the outcome 😞

Just in case it matters, here's an image of the About box in Creator:

apc.PNG

I am running Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro with BootCamp. The machine only has USB-C ports so I am using a USB-C male to USB-A female adapter. Could this be a problem? I wouldn't think so. When I plug in the device I get solid green and orange lights on the programmer, and blinking blue light on the device.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Getting really frustrated over here!

0 Likes
1 Solution

cb,

Because the YELLOW is on, you're receiving power through the USB cable.  Duh.

Because the GREEN light is SOLID ON, you are are being recognized by the computer as a USB device.  Hummm...  

The BLUE light on the target board blinking is because you have Power from the USB through the Kitprog and the application installed by Cypress is to blink the BLUE LED.  Nothing wrong here.

You are using Windows 10 on a Mac.   Try this:  Open the Device Manager.

You should see an enumerated COM port in the "Ports (COM & LPT)" group.  In the group you should see the "KitProg USB-UART (COMxx)" with a COM port assignment. See pic.

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1627390251552.png

If you do, you are connected to the KitProg for UART emulation through the USB.  If not let us know.

Next look at the group "Universal Serial Bus controllers".  You should see a member of the group as "KitProg (1.2.3.3)" (or something close to that ).

If you do, the OS is recognizing the KitProg as a programming/debugging device.  If not, let us know.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1627390716640.png

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

When I encountered a similar situation, downloading and installing a new PSoC Programmer fixed the problem.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/psoc-programmer-archive

I'm not sure if this applies to your case, but I hope it is worth trying.

moto

P.S. It may also help, if you will use PSoC Programmer to update the KitProg firmware of CY8CKIT-059.

Use the Utilities Tab > Update Firmware in PSoC Programmer

001-PSoC_Programmer.JPG

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello Coolbeans.

Can you attach an image of PSoC Programmer window showing the Programmer tab window with KIT-059 attached.  This can tell us a lot of information to help you.

You mentioned snap-off programmer attached.  Did you snap it off and re-connect with wires?
If yes, can you attach a photo of connection?

0 Likes
coolbeans
Level 1
Level 1

@MotooTanaka Thank you for the suggestion. I upgraded to the latest Programmer but didn't see any change in regards to the device recognition.

@BiBi_1928986 I knew I should have worded that sentence better! I have not snapped off the programmer, the whole thing is fresh out of the box. Below are images of the Programmer tool installed by the setup, and also after upgrading to the latest version.

npp.PNGpp.PNG

Thanks for the replies so far folks!

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

coolbeans,

A few simple elementary questions:

• When you plug in the 059 into the USB cable, does the two LEDs (one GREEN the other YELLOW) on the KitProg board (the small one on the side of the perforations) turn on?
  • If so, is the GREEN LED blinking?
Len
0 Likes

Thanks for the reply Len!

Both the green and yellow lights on the programmer are lit solid, not blinking. The blue light on the device is blinking.

0 Likes

cb,

Because the YELLOW is on, you're receiving power through the USB cable.  Duh.

Because the GREEN light is SOLID ON, you are are being recognized by the computer as a USB device.  Hummm...  

The BLUE light on the target board blinking is because you have Power from the USB through the Kitprog and the application installed by Cypress is to blink the BLUE LED.  Nothing wrong here.

You are using Windows 10 on a Mac.   Try this:  Open the Device Manager.

You should see an enumerated COM port in the "Ports (COM & LPT)" group.  In the group you should see the "KitProg USB-UART (COMxx)" with a COM port assignment. See pic.

Len_CONSULTRON_0-1627390251552.png

If you do, you are connected to the KitProg for UART emulation through the USB.  If not let us know.

Next look at the group "Universal Serial Bus controllers".  You should see a member of the group as "KitProg (1.2.3.3)" (or something close to that ).

If you do, the OS is recognizing the KitProg as a programming/debugging device.  If not, let us know.

Len_CONSULTRON_1-1627390716640.png

Len
0 Likes

Thanks Len. We were all good up until the last step, were the device was reading as "USB Composite Device" rather than "KitProg (1.x.x.x)". On a hunch I updated the drivers for this device by pointing them to the KitProg.inf file that came with the installation in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\drivers\KitProg. But, we have a new error 🙂 Images attached.

e1.PNGe2.PNGe3.PNG

Thank you for your help so far! I am new to this device, coming from the relatively plug and play world of Arduino, as well as not a usual user of Windows 10, so my newbieness is showing 😄

0 Likes
coolbeans
Level 1
Level 1

Stop the presses! @Len_CONSULTRON and all. After my last reply to Len I went back to Device Manager, right-clicked the "KitProg (1.2.3.3)" entry (which now had a yellow warning triangle next to it), and hit "Uninstall Device". Then, I unplugged and re-plugged in the device and...it works. Recognized as COM3 *and* correctly in the USB controllers sections of Device Manager, and I can successfully program it.

So, what did I learn? Hmm, not sure about that. When stuck, find more things to uninstall and reinstall?

Anyway, thank you for the responses everyone and thanks @Len_CONSULTRON for pointing me in the right direction with also checking the USB Controllers entries in Device Manager.

Cheers!

coolbeans,

Great! 👍.  Another happy (?) customer!

Hopefully this post will be helpful if someone else runs into a similar issue.

Len