Bootloader issue after part change

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
keny
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored First like received First reply posted

I have a bootloader/loadable project that has been running on CY8C3246AXI for years now. I recently tried building and running it on a CY8C3666AXI. Everything runs as expected except for the bootloader. It always uses the default 2 sec. timeout on the bootloader before calling bootloadable even though it's set for no wait. When you try to run the bootloader using the standard host tool, it stops right away with data checking errors. My question would be, is there any known issues running a bootloader on that particular version of psoc 3? Nothing shows up on the data sheets I have looked at.

0 Likes
1 Solution
keny
Level 1
Level 1

I think I fixed it by updating all of the components. The application is still slow to start from reset compared to the older version but the bootloader seems to work fine now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @keny

Could you please confirm that you have recompiled both the bootloader and the bootloadable projects for the new target device? Is your project using any flash-write APIs? 

Also, would it be possible to share the original working bootloader and bootloadable projects so that we can have a look at them? If not, can you please try the same procedure with a new empty bootloader/bootloadable project and let me know if the issue persists.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
keny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, I had to recompile everything for the new part. There is no flash-write in the project, it uses the EEProm instead. I can try to make a small project from scratch to test the bootloader. Are there any known issues with that part? My bootloader is using an older bootloader component but I also had the same problem when I tried using the latest component version. The program is large but I make sure it doesn't run into the last page of flash.

0 Likes
keny
Level 1
Level 1

I think I fixed it by updating all of the components. The application is still slow to start from reset compared to the older version but the bootloader seems to work fine now.

0 Likes
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @keny,

Thank you for the update!

Could you please let me know if Wait for command option has been enabled in the bootloader component configuration? 

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
keny
Level 1
Level 1

After doing some more tests I found that the delay was in the application and not the bootloader startup. The reason I hadn't updated the components sooner was due to lack of available code memory. I was able to make more room by raising the compiler optimization value for the bootloader project so that it used less. The Kiel license allows up to level 5.