Analog voltage range

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ToDo_281356
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted Welcome! First question asked

I have a PSoC5 set up with some VDDIOx at 3.3V and some at 5V. My VDDA is also 5V. Let's say I connect an internal analog device, e.g. an OpAmp input or output to one GPIO in the 3.3V VDDIOx group. The question is: Is my voltage range on that pin 3.3V or 5V?

0 Likes
1 Solution
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

+0 to 3.3 V as that is what the Gpio is set to.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

+0 to 3.3 V as that is what the Gpio is set to.

0 Likes

Sounds reasonable, but consider an OpAmp output that is routed to two pins on different VDDIO groups. Since the OpAmp has the output stage and the GPIO pin doesn't, it seems logical to me that both pins output the same voltage. Am I wrong? Why?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I am reading the I/O system block diagram correctly then the routing doesn't work that way. Rather the digital output path still has clamping diodes connected for the VDDIO group, just with push/pull inactive.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

You are probably mixing analog and digital realms. The VDDA is common to the analog world which is separate from VDDD which is for the digital signals. VDDA must be the highest of all VDDs.

Bob

ToDo_281356
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted Welcome! First question asked

Thanks for clarifying, Bob. I thought it was like that. I was just a little afraid that the pins had built in protection diodes to VDDIO also when used as an analog i/o which would limit the analog range to VDDIO. Obviously they haven't.

0 Likes