400Mhz square wave

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
eeEn_4618901
Level 4
Level 4
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hi,

Can I produce 400Megahz square wave with the help of psoc?

BEST REGARDS

0 Likes
8 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

The datasheet indicates an output GPIO can only toggle up to 33MHz.

Unfortunately, the answer is no.

0 Likes
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

eeEn,

You can try to select 5-th harmonic of the 80MHz clock using external LC tank. Something like 2 turns of coil, 4mm dia and 10pf capacitor.

/odissey1

0 Likes

eeEn,

There  are many 433MHz cheap modules on eBay and Ali, like this one: (search "433MHz RF Transmitter Receiver")

/odissey1

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Hi,

I dont want to use rf transmitter receiver modules. I want to use  pll, mixer....

0 Likes

eeEn,

I dont want to use rf transmitter receiver modules. ...

That is your prerogative.   However modern RF transmitter modules are uber accurate nowadays.   I just finish a project for automotive that used an RF transmitter IC (non-Cypress).  It is crystal based to generate the RF carrier.  It uses a Fractional-N PLL to generate carrier frequencies higher than the crystal (in this case 434MHz).   This allows the carrier to have tremendous accuracy and stability. 

In the "old days", it was common to use a SAW filter to generate the carrier.  This type is prone to frequency shifts and loss of power output depending on the reaction of the external LRC components to temperature and aging effects.

IMHO the PSoC5 is a great part but it was not intended to clock above 80MHz.  To do that would require different Silicon technology that allows higher switching frequencies.

Len

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes

eeEn,

Sorry.  No can do.  The project is a company propriety design.

But I can tell you I used an NXP IC.   You can contact your local NXP rep for their offerings or contact Cypress/Infineon for what offerings they may have.

Len

Len
0 Likes

Len,

Thank you,

Which IC of NXP did you use?

What should I discuss with Cypress / Infineon?

0 Likes

eeEn,

I used the NXP NCF29A3.  NXP has a number of RF ICs with more or less features.   They even have RF ICs that are designed to be SPI comm'd to connect to other main CPUs such as the PSoC5.

As to Cypress/Infineon solutions ... I know that Infineon had some Wireless products for the 434MHz band at one time.   I could not find anything on their website.  You'll have to talk to a local Infineon/Cypress rep to see what they may have.

Len

Len
0 Likes