SmartIO on CY8CKIT-149

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PatrickK_71
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 10 likes received 10 questions asked

Last week I created a project to blink the LED P3[4] on the CY8CKIT-149 using a PWM. The PWM doesn't connect directly to the pin so I used a SmartIO on port 3 to connect the PWM to the pin. Everything worked fine...until to day. I tried to recreate the lab and get this message:

E2809: Unable to find a valid placement for pins and fixed-function blocks. See the Digital Placement's Detailed placement messages section in the report file for details.

According to the Report file I am using 3 IO, not one. Even if I leave the pin to auto-assign I get the same error. Anyone know what is going on here?

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ncbs
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @PatrickK_71,

P3[4] can be accessed by PWM. Head to the alternate pin functions section and against P3[4],  tcpwm.line[2]:0 can be seen. (Datasheet - https://www.cypress.com/file/396611/download)

ncbs_0-1630407273260.png

Hence TCPWM Counter 2 configured as PWM can be used to directly observe the PWM output on P3[4]. Here is the snapshot of the device configurator.

ncbs_1-1630407452225.png

Find the necessary Modus Toolbox files attached. The PWM block is configured to generate a 33% duty cycle pulse with a period of 3 seconds. The output can be seen on P3[4] (LED).

Best regards,
Nikhil

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ncbs

Hi @PatrickK_71,

P3[4] can be accessed by PWM. Head to the alternate pin functions section and against P3[4],  tcpwm.line[2]:0 can be seen. (Datasheet - https://www.cypress.com/file/396611/download)

ncbs_0-1630407273260.png

Hence TCPWM Counter 2 configured as PWM can be used to directly observe the PWM output on P3[4]. Here is the snapshot of the device configurator.

ncbs_1-1630407452225.png

Find the necessary Modus Toolbox files attached. The PWM block is configured to generate a 33% duty cycle pulse with a period of 3 seconds. The output can be seen on P3[4] (LED).

Best regards,
Nikhil

0 Likes
PatrickK_71
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 10 likes received 10 questions asked

Nikhil,

Thanks for the answer but I am using PSoC creator (4.4) because that is what the professor is using  in his course. My issue is that this project worked fine on Friday and when I re-built it on Monday I got the error as I posted. The question is why in such a simple design that the IDE cannot place two components. 

Patrick

0 Likes

So I just tried it again after rebooting my computer and it worked. So thank you for the ModusToolbox solution, but still puzzled by the Creator issues.

0 Likes
ncbs

Hi @PatrickK_71,

Glad to hear that the project is working now. If you still have the project which troubled you, could you share the project here so that we can have a look into it?

The error usually occurs when more than one peripheral is trying to access the same GPIO for its own purpose.

Regards,
Nikhil

0 Likes