Serial in parallel out

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cannot seem to find an example for serial in parallel out conversion. this is with respect to the prototyping kit platform. Any help is appreciated

0 Likes
8 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum, Soumya!

There is something simple, a shift register which you might use for serial in when we are not talking about the usual serial interfaces as UART, I2C or SPI. A parallel out is one single write to a port of your choice, that's it.

Since your request is a little bit uncommon and you seemingly are a beginner with PSoC4 some questions:

Have you already got any Development or prototyping kit? Which one??

What do you want to perform with serial in, parallel out? Frequencies?? Connected devices??? Links to datasheet????

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Bob!..:-)

Yes I just started working with the CY8CKIT-049 4xxx Prototyping Kit. I am trying to read serial data through a GPIO and store it into a register. Something custom, not RS232 etc... I did find a verilog implementation of the SIPO, but it didn't have API's for me to go any further into testing it...

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

You can also consider doing a simple verilog serial in / parallel out shift

register or use simple components like D FFs and basic logic to create the

the conversion.

Look at the 101 series of videos http://www.cypress.com/search/all/101?f[0]=meta_type%3Avideos

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Here are Verilog File and symbol for a solution -

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Dana,

Yes, I have currently implemented one with DFF. Thank you for the verilog file, will test it out..:-)

0 Likes

Dana,

thank you for Shiftin implementation, I didn't know it that simple. As a note the ShiftIn_v1_0.cysym file does not open in Creator 3.2.

odissey1 

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9

Bob Marlowe did this project -

http://www.cypress.com/forum/psoc-5-architecture/serial-parallel-out-shift-register-using-lut

Link halfway down the thread for the project archive.

Regards, Dana.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Oh, did I? I didn't remember... Getting old...

Bob

0 Likes