Memory and Flash available to an application on the CYBLE-022001-00

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to the data sheet CYBLE-022001-00  has

■ 32-bit processor (0.9 DMIPS/MHz) with single-cycle 32-bit multiply, operating at up to 48 MHz

■ 128-KB flash memory,

■ 16-KB SRAM memory

How much flash and  RAM are  available for  the application ? 

Thank you

Andy 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Andy,

Strictly speaking, nearly all of that is available for the application to use. However, once you add various PSoC Components into the project schematic so that the IDE generates relevant API code for you, and particularly once you start using those APIs in your code, some flash and RAM will be used by the APIs and (in the case of BLE) pre-compiled object code that provides core BLE stack functionality.

The specific memory footprint depends on which APIs you end up using. For example, if you design a project with peripheral-only BLE capability, you will have more space available for the application than if you design peripheral and central together in the same project.

For a very rough ballpark, I would refer to the simple "BLE_Find_Me" example project that comes with PSoC Creator. This is a peripheral-only project with basic BLE functionality. Here's the compiler output:

Flash used: 83099 of 131072 bytes (63.4 %).
SRAM used: 11568 of 16384 bytes (70.6 %). Stack: 2048 bytes. Heap: 1024 bytes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Andy,

Strictly speaking, nearly all of that is available for the application to use. However, once you add various PSoC Components into the project schematic so that the IDE generates relevant API code for you, and particularly once you start using those APIs in your code, some flash and RAM will be used by the APIs and (in the case of BLE) pre-compiled object code that provides core BLE stack functionality.

The specific memory footprint depends on which APIs you end up using. For example, if you design a project with peripheral-only BLE capability, you will have more space available for the application than if you design peripheral and central together in the same project.

For a very rough ballpark, I would refer to the simple "BLE_Find_Me" example project that comes with PSoC Creator. This is a peripheral-only project with basic BLE functionality. Here's the compiler output:

Flash used: 83099 of 131072 bytes (63.4 %).
SRAM used: 11568 of 16384 bytes (70.6 %). Stack: 2048 bytes. Heap: 1024 bytes.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great. If I can look at he compiler output and see the available flash /heap available for application code to use - that's exactly what I was looking for

Thank you

Andy

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The largest footprint by far is the BLE component with it taking around 2/3s of the system space/resources as @Jrow said above.

The other components all take much less 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow up question

My compiler output states

Flash used: 114033 of 131072 bytes (87.0 %).
SRAM used: 14144 of 16384 bytes (86.3 %). Stack: 2048 bytes. Heap: 1024 bytes.

If I'm reading this right my application has 16384 -14144=2240 bytes for stack and heap

Where do the values for stack (2048 ) and heap (1024) come from? Their sum is greater than the available SRAM (2048 + 1024  = 3072 )

Thanks

Andy

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Andy,

The stack and heap settings can be configured in the Design Wide Resources section of the project definition. Those are the values that are set by default for most projects, but they are often overkill. You can reduce the stack somewhat and often cut out the heap entirely if you don't use runtime memory allocation functions (e.g. malloc).

The figure shown as "SRAM used" (14144 in your example) actually includes and stack and heap values, so the remaining amount is truly unallocated.

Jeff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

0 Likes