GATT services discovery

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to get data from a custom GAP peripheral, GATT server.
The peripheral sent data, and I can read GATT DB from CySmart, of course the services are unknown, but the data can be read and write.
Now, starting from PSoC_4_BLE_Central_IAS example, I try to read the same data.
•    After the call back function initialization CyBle_Start(StackEventHandler) and CyBle_ProcessEvents(); I manage the events I scan for device CyBle_GapcStartScan(CYBLE_SCANNING_FAST);  
•    and after the CYBLE_EVT_GAPC_SCAN_PROGRESS_RESULT I get advertising data from evetparameter pointer.
•    Found my device, I connect it by CyBle_GapcConnectDevice(&connectPeriphDevice);
•    did this, I start GATT discovery calling  CyBle_GattcStartDiscovery(connHandle) that does not return any event parameter (the documentation says this) and
•    I need to discover my GATT services and attributes. I've used CyBle_GattcDiscoverAllPrimaryServices(connHandle); and CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_DISCOVERY_COMPLETEe event are generated
from here  I'm not understand how continue.
Where are the discovered services?
Does CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_DISCOVERY_COMPLETE returns an evetparameter? (reading the BLE documentation, this is not clear).
The examples on central function are very few, Can I have some help?

Thanks, Fabrizio

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

After you call the GattcDiscoverAllPrimaryServices API, you will get the discovery data in chunks called (group) from the peripheral. Each time you receive a group, you will get the CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_READ_BY_GROUP_TYPE_RSP. You can obtain the data from the event parameter when you get this event. After all the discovery data is sent in multiple CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_READ_BY_GROUP_TYPE_RSP events, you will finally get the CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_DISCOVERY_COMPLETE event.

I have attached a Central / Clinet project which discovers all primary services and characteristics from a server and displays them.

Please find it attached. Use a UART Serial terminal (Like teraterm / coolterm) to test the project.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

After you call the GattcDiscoverAllPrimaryServices API, you will get the discovery data in chunks called (group) from the peripheral. Each time you receive a group, you will get the CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_READ_BY_GROUP_TYPE_RSP. You can obtain the data from the event parameter when you get this event. After all the discovery data is sent in multiple CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_READ_BY_GROUP_TYPE_RSP events, you will finally get the CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_DISCOVERY_COMPLETE event.

I have attached a Central / Clinet project which discovers all primary services and characteristics from a server and displays them.

Please find it attached. Use a UART Serial terminal (Like teraterm / coolterm) to test the project.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Madhu, your help is helpful, but it generates, to me, some doubts and I need to understand.

On my previous try I've used, after the connection, the CyBle_GattcStartDiscovery() function with the return of CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_DISCOVERY_COMPLETE event.
Then I've called CyBle_GattcDiscoverAllPrimaryServices() and  waited the CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_READ_BY_GROUP_TYPE_RSP event, that never appeared.
This seemed the right way. On my opinion.

In your example CyBle_GattcStartDiscovery() was never used, instead after the connection, if I've correctly interpreted your code,  you call CyBle_GattcDiscoverAllPrimaryServices() and other.

I've done the same and I've received CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_READ_BY_GROUP_TYPE_RSP,  two time, and CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_ERROR_RSP at the end, so this indicates that I've two services (not yet analyzed).

My question is: why CyBle_GattcStartDiscovery() doesn't return what I expected? What is the use of CyBle_GattcStartDiscovery()?

Regards, Fabrizio

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CyBle_GattcStartDiscovery() function has the following listed in the documentation (under BLE_gatt.c where "BLE" is the name of you bluetooth component):

/****************************************************************************** 
* Function Name: CyBle_GattcStartDiscovery
***************************************************************************//**

*  Starts the automatic server discovery process. Two events may be generated 
*  after calling this function - CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_DISCOVERY_COMPLETE or 
*  CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_ERROR_RSP. The CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_DISCOVERY_COMPLETE event is 
*  generated when the remote device was successfully discovered. The
*  CYBLE_EVT_GATTC_ERROR_RSP is generated if the device discovery is failed.

*  \param connHandle: The handle which consists of the device ID and ATT connection ID.

* \return
*    CYBLE_API_RESULT_T : Return value indicates if the function succeeded or
*                        failed. Following are the possible error codes.
*   <table>    
*   <tr>
*      <th>Errors codes</th>
*      <th>Description</th>
*    </tr>
*    <tr>
*      <td>CYBLE_ERROR_OK</td>
*      <td>On successful operation</td>
*    </tr>
*    <tr>
*      <td>CYBLE_ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER</td>
*      <td>'connHandle' value does not represent any existing entry.</td>
*    </tr>
*    <tr>
*      <td>CYBLE_ERROR_INVALID_OPERATION</td>
*      <td>The operation is not permitted</td>
*    </tr>
*   <tr>
*      <td>CYBLE_ERROR_MEMORY_ALLOCATION_FAILED</td>
*      <td>Memory allocation failed</td>
*    </tr>
*   <tr>
*      <td>CYBLE_ERROR_INVALID_STATE</td>
*      <td>If the function is called in any state except connected or discovered</td>
*    </tr>
*   </table>

******************************************************************************/

0 Likes