EZ-Serial firmware not displaying any boot events on reboot - CYBLE-012011

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DhDa_2432241
Level 5
Level 5
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello, 

I have flashed the EZ-Serial image onto my CYBLE-012011 evaluation board from here. I connected USB-UART to pins P3.4 and P3.5. I opened the COM port on putty and did a RESET(shorted XRES to ground ). According to the firmware guide in here(page 8), the factory default behaviour should give a boot message like 

@E,0032,BOOT,E=0100,S=030100C2,P=0100,C=01,A=00A050E3835F 

But I am not seeing any output on the COM port. Also the guide says that local echo is enabled. I can't see anything being printed on the console when I type in. How does this work?

Thanks
Dheeraj

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dheeraj,

The correct pins to use for UART host communication are P1.4 (RX) and P1.5 (TX), and optionally P1.6 (RTS) and P1.7 (CTS). Refer to Section 8.1 in the EZ-Serial User Guide for details on which pins perform which functions. Note that P3.4 and P3.5 are used for other purposes.

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
DhDa_2432241
Level 5
Level 5
5 likes given First like received First like given

I tried the troubleshooting chapter but it didn't help. I also hooked the BLE Tx to the oscilloscope but I couldn't see anything data except that the TX line went high upon boot. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dheeraj,

The correct pins to use for UART host communication are P1.4 (RX) and P1.5 (TX), and optionally P1.6 (RTS) and P1.7 (CTS). Refer to Section 8.1 in the EZ-Serial User Guide for details on which pins perform which functions. Note that P3.4 and P3.5 are used for other purposes.

Jeff

0 Likes

Hi Jeff,
Ah got it. I was looking at PSoC creator pin connections. Thank you for this. I can now see the boot messages.  Is there a way to change these pin connections (P1.5 and P1.4) to the UART pins which PSoC creator studio uses(P3.4 and P3.5)? 

Thanks
Dheeraj

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dheeraj,

The UART pin assignments within EZ-Serial cannot be modified, as they are compiled into the module-specific official firmware image. However, these are not in conflict with what PSoC Creator allows. If you add a UART (SCB) component to your project schematic, all you have to do to change the pin assignment for that component is double-click on the Design Wide Resources section in the Workspace Explorer, and specifically view the Pins tab. Then just select a matching pair for the RX and TX pins. P3.4 and P3.5 are one common pair, while P1.4 and P1.5 are another common pair.

The BLE Pioneer kit base board routes P1.4 and P1.5 from the evaluation module headers through the USB-to-UART bridge interface provided by the PSoC 5LP on the base board, which is one reason why those pins were chosen for EZ-Serial. It means you can flash the image into the module and begin communicating with it directly from a host PC, if you open the virtual serial port provided by the BLE Pioneer kit.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for this. It helps.

Dheeraj

0 Likes