EZ-Serial: Data stops being sent over CYSPP intermittently with connected to Android Phone

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RonanB
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

We have a product that uses the CYBLE-012011-00 with EZ-Serial 1.1.1 that is experiencing issues when sending data over CYSPP.

We are seeing an intermittent issue where it seems the module stops forwarding the data sent to it over UART while in CYSPP mode when connected to an Android Phone (OnePlus 7T Android 10).  Usually, the first 2 or 3 packets sent over UART after sent over BLE but after that, there are no more packets. The module is not completely non-responsive, when the phone doesn't respond to the CYPSS packets, we enter API mode to disconnect which works and then we reenter CYSPP mode awaiting connections. Following connection attempts from the phone do not work either.  I have verified that we are sending the same data over UART for the working and failing cases.

I have captured Wireshark logs a successful connection attempt and failing attempt and nothing stood out to me, an example of both is attached taken using the nRF sniffer firmware. See attached images (couldn't attach pcapng)

We do not see this issue when an nRF product connects to our Cypress module. Sometimes after the nRF product has connected, sent data and disconnected, the following phone connection works.

Is this issue related to 274727 mentioned here?

We are in the process of testing this on other Phones.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

Please check with the other smarphones and let me know your observations.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

0 Likes
RonanB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi sorry for the delay.

Below are the more phones we have seen it on

• Huawei Honor 7X: Android 8.0.0
  • Samsung Galaxy S9+: Android 10
  • Huawei Y6: Android 9

The issue seems to be repeatable when we allow the nRF based device to connect to the cypress module, disconnect and then get the mobile phone to connect.

If the full Wireshark logs will help, I can send them to you if you provide me with an email in IM or something else I can send it on

Also would you be able to give me more info on the bug 274727?

0 Likes
RonanB
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, would you be able to provide an update on this?

0 Likes
RonanB
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, see attached zip with wireshark logs and uart logs.

The UART  logs show the hex packets sent and received on the MCU from the BLE module and the timestamps match the Wireshark logs.

You may need the https://www.nordicsemi.com/Software-and-tools/Development-Tools/nRF-Sniffer-for-Bluetooth-LE plugin for Wireshark to view logs.

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello,

Could you please share your complete EZ Serial commands which you sent and received in UART terminal ?

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

0 Likes
RonanB
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, see the attached log with commands we use to set up the module. This is the same every time we turn on the module bar changing the advertising name

Once these commands are sent, the module is put into CYSPP mode using the CYSPP_PIN and the UART logs from the previous attachments can be used

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello,

I'm not seeing data stops sending while connected with the android phone. Could you please let me know if you are seeing in any particular android phones.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

0 Likes
RonanB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So it doesn't always happen but we have seen it on enough devices and phones that we know there is a problem. Sometimes it does work consistently and then after a power cycle, after exchanging the first few packets, the issue shows up. We have seen it on the phone below:

• Huawei Honor 7X: Android 8.0.0
  • Samsung Galaxy S9+: Android 10
  • Huawei Y6: Android 9
  • OnePlus 7T Android 10

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello,

Could you please let me know if you are still facing this issue ?

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

0 Likes