Connectable directed advertising type

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I would like to use "Connectable directed" advertising packet in PSoC 4 BLE device, however I cannot find GAP setting tab in Component GUI when pulling down "Advertising type" function.

How can I chose the type on GUI?

Best regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We have a KBA which explained how to configure BLE peripheral to perform directed advertisement here:

Configuring BLE Peripheral to Perform Directed Advertisement - KBA218959

Please kindly review and let us know if you need further help.

Thanks,

Nada

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We have a KBA which explained how to configure BLE peripheral to perform directed advertisement here:

Configuring BLE Peripheral to Perform Directed Advertisement - KBA218959

Please kindly review and let us know if you need further help.

Thanks,

Nada

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ndma​, how do I do direct advertisement for Central devices that have random public addresses at every turn on of its Bluetooth? Will assigning the "Identity" address of these devices in the cyBle_discoveryModeInfo.advParam->directAddr do the trick?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, e.pratt_1639216​. I have read that link along with the KBA203286 that you mentioned in another threadPSoC 4 BLE advertisement filtering​. So, I'm sharing what I learned/found out.

1. Applying KBA218959​, I did direct advertising by assigning bdAddr obtained from CyBle_GapGetPeerBdAddr to cyBle_discoveryModeInfo.advParam->directAddr. It worked for an Android device that uses Resolvable Private Addresses (RPA) but did NOT for an iOS device (iPad) that also uses RPA w/ changing of Addr every ~15mins. What this means is that direct advertising is not the way to go when dealing with devices employing RPA (ie. iPad) that changes every power cycle and time interval.

2. I also did try using the Identity Address of the peer device obtained using CyBle_GapGetPeerDevSecurityKeyInfo()  as the directAddr for the direct advertisement. Unfortunately, both devices (Android & iPad) were not able to connect to the BLE. What this means is that devices compare the current RPA it uses, not its Identity Addr, with the address in the direct advertisment; then decides if it is the target device for connection.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi capardogracielle_2279656

Hmmm, that is a bummer. Not sure, but I would think you would be able to just update the address you are using upon failure?

I think the thought with the RPA implementation was to have a similar approach to Private/Public key pairs used in SSL, but I haven't looked too carefully at what the implementation employs.

0 Likes