Confused CY5677 dongle. Thinks it's an external drive and can't upload hex.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Andy_62
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Until recently the dongle was working quite happily but now something seems to have happened to it.

When plugged in to the computer it isn't recognised as a COM device any more, Windows 10 treats it as an external drive and under Device Manager it appears as another drive, not a COM device.

I have updated the Firmware using CySmart 1.3, but when I try and upload the HEX file ( \\ \\ \\BLE_4_2_Dongle_CySmart_256K_psoc.hex using Programmer 3.29.1) I get the error that the PSoc device is not acquired.....

The red light is on and the green status light fades on and off rather than blinking.

I have tried all that I can find and got nowhere so I'm wondering if it is beyond repair.  Anyone else been here or have any ideas?

(I have another dongle on order so this isn't life and death, but it is bugging me.)

Many thanks

Andy

0 Likes
10 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello @Andy_62 ,

Open Device Manager and right-click on the dongle. Go to Properties > Driver > Uninstall Device. After the uninstall is complete, remove the dongle and reconnect is back. The system will load the right drivers automatically. 

Let me know if it shows up as a COM device after these steps. 

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried that and I've tried the dongle in a computer that's never been connected to it before and it always gets seen as an external drive not a COM device.  I don't have it with me at the moment but (if my memory is correct) it identifies as a CMSIS-DAP device which, from searching around, is a USB interface chip so I think something is a bit confused.

The replacement device has arrived and works as it should.

Regards

Andy

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

Hello @Andy_62 ,

Please try following the steps mentioned in this thread to update the firmware of the dongle. 

Another related thread for reference. Let me know if the error persists after these changes.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj

Thanks for still trying to help.   These links are places I'd already been to. 

I think because the dongle is being seen as a CMSIS-DAP/249838 and recognised as an external drive I don't think I can get to the right bit of the dongle to program it.  In Programmer it's not finding it as a dongle so the HEX can't be uploaded and the FLASH can't be wiped.  And in CySmart it's not finding anything at all.  See pics for both.

Thanks

Andy

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

Hello @Andy_62 ,

Here are some things to try:

1) Reinstall PSoC Programmer. Then connect the dongle and see if Windows detects the right driver for it. In case, it shows up as something else, uninstall the driver and connect the dongle again. See if it works. If not, move to the next step.

2) Open Device Manager. Right-click on the faulty device > Properties > Drivers > Update Driver > Browse my computer for drivers > Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer > Have Disk > Browse > Point to KitProgUSBUART.inf file in the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\Programmer\drivers\KitProg

Once the driver is installed, open PSoC Programmer > Utilities > Upgrade Firmware. Program the dongle hex like you did before. Things should now work properly.

Let me know if the error persists after these changes.

Regards,
Dheeraj 

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj

And thanks for persisting with this.

1) I tried it on a new computer and it automatically detected it as an external drive

2) "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver...." (see first attachment)  I think that because it thinks it's a drive it won't accept it as a different type of device (but I'm no expert on how Windows talks to/recognises devices.)

Regards

Andy

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

Hello @Andy_62 ,

Bootloader mode is when you want to upgrade the firmware. In this case, please release the Reset button and re-plug the kit to enter normal mode. 

Please see if the USB enumeration is successful. The KitProg LED status will be ON. I hope this is happening. 

Once the enumeration is complete, check the device manager to see if it enumerates or external drive or as a virtual COM device. In case it is the former, please right-click on the device > Properties > Driver > Uninstall device

Now replug the device and see it if gets detected properly. If it still gets detected as an external drive, please go to System Updates and see if there is any pending update. Microsoft updates usually install new or update the drivers and then restart the PC. 

If it gets detected as a COM device but has some driver issues, please follow the steps I mentioned in the previous post to bind the driver manually. 

Let me know your observations.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi Dheeraj

Whatever I do, whenever the dongle is plugged in it is detected as an external drive and the Status light is a gradual blink on and off.

In PSoC programmer it's recognised as CMSIS/DAP249838 which I presume is related in some way to this

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/cmsis-dap-spansion-cypress-fm-link

Regards

Andrew

Regards

Andrew

0 Likes
DheerajK_81

Hello @Andy_62 ,

Did you download any additional drivers like the CMSIS-DAP Spansion link you provided and try to bind those drivers?

If yes, please uninstall the device in the Device Manager. Uninstall all the additional driver softwares you downloaded manually in Apps and Features tab in Control Panel. After that, reinstall PSoC Programmer and CySmart softwares. Make sure you install the latest versions.

Then follow the steps in this KBA to update the firmware successfully: https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Updating-CY8CKIT-042-BLE-KitProg-and-CySmar...

Let me know if it works! 

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

I've also tried inserting the dongle while pressing the reset button so it goes to the bootloader and then updating the firmware in PSoc Programmer, but windows then recognises it as an external drive and Programmer can't access the port because CMSIS is using it, see attached.

0 Likes