CY8CKIT-044 for logging CAN data from the vehicle

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AbV_4665246
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I hope everyone is fine in this pandemic crisis situation.

I want to use CY8CKIT-044 board for logging CAN data from the vehicle for M.Tech Project. I like to know whether this board is suitable for CAN communication and logging data, where I saw in the Cypress site that it has CAN but I didn't find any info on it.

Also want to know how to receive data using CAN to the mentioned board, as of now I didn't find any solutions.

Guys, Kindly help me on this.

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi AbV_4665246​,

Yes, CY8CKIT-044 board is suitable for receiving CAN messages. However, you need to review the PSoC 4200 M datasheet for the memory requirements for data logging capability. PSoC 4200 M device has a maximum of 16 KB RAM and it is usually not sufficient for data logging. Instead, develop a CAN to I2C/ UART/ USB bridge using PSoC device and transfer the data to your PC which has sufficient memory for data logging.

pastedImage_0.png

If you are looking for CAN to USB transfer with PSoC itself recommend you to use PSoC 4200 L device (Associated Kit : CY8CKIT-046 PSoC® 4 L-Series Pioneer Kit). This device supports both CAN and USB and it will be easier for you to develop a CAN to USB bridge and log the data in your PC.

Reference:

1. Example project for CAN : Open PSoC Creator -> File -> Code Example . You will find two code examples that helps you to send and receive CAN messages using PSoC.

pastedImage_3.png

2. Refer to the KBA Control Area Network (CAN) Protocol Troubleshooting Guide for PSoC® - KBA224456​ for the complete resources on getting started with CAN applications using PSoC 4.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi AbV_4665246​,

Yes, CY8CKIT-044 board is suitable for receiving CAN messages. However, you need to review the PSoC 4200 M datasheet for the memory requirements for data logging capability. PSoC 4200 M device has a maximum of 16 KB RAM and it is usually not sufficient for data logging. Instead, develop a CAN to I2C/ UART/ USB bridge using PSoC device and transfer the data to your PC which has sufficient memory for data logging.

pastedImage_0.png

If you are looking for CAN to USB transfer with PSoC itself recommend you to use PSoC 4200 L device (Associated Kit : CY8CKIT-046 PSoC® 4 L-Series Pioneer Kit). This device supports both CAN and USB and it will be easier for you to develop a CAN to USB bridge and log the data in your PC.

Reference:

1. Example project for CAN : Open PSoC Creator -> File -> Code Example . You will find two code examples that helps you to send and receive CAN messages using PSoC.

pastedImage_3.png

2. Refer to the KBA Control Area Network (CAN) Protocol Troubleshooting Guide for PSoC® - KBA224456​ for the complete resources on getting started with CAN applications using PSoC 4.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi @BragadeeshV_41,

Thanks for your reply.

I like to know is it possible to send data directly to terminal(teraterm) and so that I can save data.

Also need to know is there any way to clear the buffer in CAN so everytime I will get data, I can clear the buffer so I can save the memory of the controller

Thank you

0 Likes

Hi AbV_4665246​,

The Kit has a kit prog device which acts as a USB - UART bridge that enable you to connect it to tera term directly.

There is no need to clear memory of CAN buffer. Every time you read data out of the CAN mailbox as given in the example shared previously, the mailboxes are cleared. You can maintain a temporary software buffer to take data from CAN mailbox and load it into the UART block.

Refer PSoC 4 UART example to use the kit's on-board USB- UART bridge(kitprog) to connect to tera term using UART block.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/code-examples/ce224406-psoc-4-uart

Please search for the code examples available in the psoc creator File-> Code example option. You are most likely to find the example project you need In case you do not find one, please feel free to reach out to us

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Dear BragadeeshV_41​,

Good Morning!

Thanks for the reply. I think CY8CKIT-044 board ​have the PSoC 5LP as the boot loader which can act as a UART-USB bridge with serial terminal.

I am planning to do the same like getting data from CAN mail box and sending to PC for logging via 5LP board.

I like to  know whether this feasible with CY8CKIT-044 board ​because I wont tried to use the RAM for logging.

Right now I am using CY8CKIT-042 board with MCP2515+TJA1050 CAN module.​ If you can give a confirmation on this so that I can upgrade the current board to 044 kit which will make tasks very easy.

Thank you

0 Likes

If you are looking for CAN communication then you need to use CY8CKIT-044.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes