CY8C4147AZI-S475 clock config for CAN bus

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
willrow
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

I am having some problems in setting up the CAN bus on my CY8C4147AZI-S475 MCU.

I think my issue is configuring the clock correctly.  As far as I can see in order to get the accuracy required to run CAN at 500 kbps I should have a clock accuracy of less than +/- 0.5%, but the native clock is +/- 2%. The data sheets mention using the more accurate WCO to help configure this but I cannot see how to do this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Alakananda_BG
50 likes received 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hi,

Can you please ensure the following points?

1. Set the IMO clock frequency to the correct SysClk frequency for 1 Mbps clock speed to work. This is documented in the PSOC 4200 M architecture TRM, Pg 192, See figure Figure 17-12. Bit Rate Versus SYSCLK.

2. WCO in the Low frequency tab, ensure that you have connected external WCO to the right pins.

3. Ensure that you set the Trim with option to WCO in the IMO section of the clock configurator.

I have attached a project that uses 48 MHz sysclk and I see activity on the Tx line. Please check.

Regards,

Alakananda

Alakananda

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
lock attach
Alakananda_BG

Hi,

Can you please ensure the following points?

1. Set the IMO clock frequency to the correct SysClk frequency for 1 Mbps clock speed to work. This is documented in the PSOC 4200 M architecture TRM, Pg 192, See figure Figure 17-12. Bit Rate Versus SYSCLK.

2. WCO in the Low frequency tab, ensure that you have connected external WCO to the right pins.

3. Ensure that you set the Trim with option to WCO in the IMO section of the clock configurator.

I have attached a project that uses 48 MHz sysclk and I see activity on the Tx line. Please check.

Regards,

Alakananda

Alakananda
0 Likes
lock attach

Dear Alakandanda_BG

I work with Willrow, we already have a PCB ready without Crystal, is there a way of running CAN without an external WCO? It is okay to run it at a slower speed/baud rate. Here I attached a project datasheet, kindly let us know if there is a way.

Thank you in advance. 

0 Likes
Alakananda_BG

Hi @B4SuraniTG0 ,

Can you please create a new thread so that we can continue the discussion there.

Regards

Alakananda
0 Likes