CY5677 external antenna

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Dirk_6716
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hello,

I am using the CY5677 ble dongle to receive ble data. However, I would like to increase the range by using an external antenna. What would be the easiest way to achieve this? Would I have to design my own PCB?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

It is not possible to connect SMA connector to the CY5677 BLE dongle.

You can design your own PCB with SMA connector. Please refer to the Design files of CY8CKIT-141: PSoC 4 BLE SMA Module which uses SMA Connector for your reference.

Please use the ble central project firmware for receiving the data. Please check the part number of PSoC4 BLE SMA module (which uses CY8C4247LQI-BL483) while programming.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PSBU_2325551
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

Hi,

Please check topic "Support for External Power Amplifier/Low-Noise Amplifier/RF Front End"  at page#53 in this AN given at this link:

https://www.cypress.com/file/136236/download

It says that  when you  need a range higher than that is typically supported by the chipset, then either an external power amplifier and/or a low-noise amplifier can be used to boost the link budget.

This information may be useful in your query.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply,

I would prefer to use an external antenna (not an external amplifier) to increase the range of the receiver. Ideally, I would like like to add an SMA connector to the CY5677, but I am not sure how easy that will be. Instead, I am interested in using https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-141-psoc-4-ble-sma-module with the pioneer kit.

Currently, I use C# code to receive data on the CY5677. Would I be able to run the same c# code to receive data from the PSOC-4-ble-sma module if I connect it to the ble pioneer kit?

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello,

It is not possible to connect SMA connector to the CY5677 BLE dongle.

You can design your own PCB with SMA connector. Please refer to the Design files of CY8CKIT-141: PSoC 4 BLE SMA Module which uses SMA Connector for your reference.

Please use the ble central project firmware for receiving the data. Please check the part number of PSoC4 BLE SMA module (which uses CY8C4247LQI-BL483) while programming.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

Just to double check,

I would be able to use the same c# code and APIs (CySmart.Common.Base.Compatibility.Net20;CySmart.DongleCommunicator.API) used for the CY5677 dongle to program the CY8CKIT-042 PSoC 4 Pioneer Kit​ + PSoC4 BLE SMA module?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Yugandhar

Hello,

The supported dongle types are CY5670, CY5672 and CY5677. Please refer to the page93 in CySmart API Reference Guide. It is not possible to program into PSoC4 BLE pioneer kit.

You can use the central project and program the PSoC4 BLE SMA module. Please refer to the BLE_UART central example project in the GitHub for more information.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

0 Likes