Long term logic for S29AL008J70 software device driver

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
mikagrubinen
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi All,

We are using  S29AL008J70TFI010 in one of our projects and I am wondering what would be a logic to keep the life of the device as long as possible. The device is used just as external storage.

I don't want to erase the whole sector if I need to update just one value, so I will have to store the updated value for that variable in the next available memory location and keep doing that until I reach the end of the sector. Then copy all data from all valid addresses to the next sector and erase the previous sector. It seems too complicated for software to keep track of addresses for all variables stored in flash, and to keep updating those addresses every time when a new value is written.

The software keeps those addresses in RAM, so what to do on the next powerup.  They will all be lost. The code will not know the addresses of the data it needs to retrieve from flash on powerup. Is there a simple way of doing that, or some example of higher-level software?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi @mikagrubinen 

Though we do not have any specific software package to implement only wear leveling, but we do have our Flash File System source code that has wear leveling as one of its functionalities.

If you are interested in using our FFS, you can request access for it on the following link - https://www.cypress.com/software-and-drivers-cypress-flash-memory

Regards.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi @mikagrubinen 

Though we do not have any specific software package to implement only wear leveling, but we do have our Flash File System source code that has wear leveling as one of its functionalities.

If you are interested in using our FFS, you can request access for it on the following link - https://www.cypress.com/software-and-drivers-cypress-flash-memory

Regards.

0 Likes

Thank you. I requested the FFS. WIll go over it and see what I can use.

Best Regards

0 Likes