Issue while interfacing iMOTION Link debugger with microcontroller

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hey!

I am designing a BLDC controller.

I powered ON the IMC302AF064XUMA1 microcontroller using an external supply of 3.3V. I interfaced the microcontroller with the MCE designer software using iMOTION link debug probe (the debugger's internal LDO was turned OFF). I got an error stating that MCE designer cannot connect to target device. I was on the correct COM port too and all the power and ground connections were verified to be correct and the microcontroller was receiving the 3.3V. Then, I disconnected the external supply and tried powering ON the microcontroller using the iMOTION Link's internal LDO regulator and the software was able to communicate with the microcontroller.

What could be the problem here? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
psb
250 sign-ins 25 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hello @cw2611 , 

Apologies for the delay in response. 
  Isolate or shield the path of power supply to the microcontroller from the rest of the PCB and try connecting through the imotion link. Next step would be to isolate/shield inputs of all the loads of the 3.3V supply from the PCB and check for the same. If this solves the issue, then the PCB layout has to be verified for any interference from another path and/or layer. 

Best Regards,
Sai

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
psb

Hi @cw2611 ,

Can you please share the schematics and other details of the board that has the IMC302AF064XUMA1  microcontroller. 

Thanks,
Sai

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

This is a development board. Please find the attached schematics.

0 Likes
psb

@cw2611 ,

Can you please try out the the steps given in this link : https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Switch-UART-mode-for-iMotion-devices-KBA23... and let me know if it works. 

Thanks,
Sai

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

Hey!

I am using IMC302A series microcontroller. And also I am not able to find the User UART function Definition in the MCE wizard.

0 Likes
psb

Hello @cw2611 , 

In the Question 22 - Communication between MCU and MCE Cores (JCOM), can you please select "Enable" and try again ? Please let me know if it is already enabled. 

Thanks,
Sai

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

We tried this step. It still couldn't communicate with the MCE software.

0 Likes
psb

Ok. Is the same issue occurring with it Disabled ?

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes
psb

Okay, can you please check the grounding scheme?
Where is the ground of the external 3.3V supply connected to ?

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

Hey @psb !

The external 3.3V ground in connected to board ground 

0 Likes
psb

@cw2611 ,

1. Is this issue happening always, or happened only during the first time while flashing ? 

2.  Have you programmed both A core and T core ? If it is done on both, then I would recommend to erase the program in the A core, and then try to establish communication with MCE Designer.  

Please let me know after trying out these. 

another recommendation is to follow the PCB design guidelines from the EVAL-M3-302F board of Infineon especially for the controller and the current sense path.

Thanks,
Sai

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

1. This issue has been happening since the very first time I tried interfacing with the MCE designer.

2. Tried it, but doesn't work.

0 Likes
psb

Hello @cw2611 , 

Apologies for the delay in response. 
  Isolate or shield the path of power supply to the microcontroller from the rest of the PCB and try connecting through the imotion link. Next step would be to isolate/shield inputs of all the loads of the 3.3V supply from the PCB and check for the same. If this solves the issue, then the PCB layout has to be verified for any interference from another path and/or layer. 

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes