Difference of motor startup behavior when running EVAL-M1-101TFTOBO1 just after parameter load

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
aneedles
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 questions asked 25 sign-ins

HI,

I have been experiencing a startup issue when using the EVAL-M1-101TFTOBO1 to control a motor. I am using this eval board with a custom driver board. I am using MCEDesigner to control the motor. I am seeing that the motor starts up correctly if I load the parameters just before operation, then select the Green Traffic Light button on the app. However, if I restart the hardware and try to start up again, then the motor stalls. The parameters should be correct and setup from memory of the device, so why would I not get the same behavior?

The startup should be the same in these two cases, no? Is there some command sequence that occurs when programming the parameters, and one that I can replicate to get the right behavior at startup?  I want to be able to start the hardware and tell the motor to run without a parameter load each time.

Thanks,

Aaron

0 Likes
1 Solution
Krupashankar
500 replies posted 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi @aneedles,

This is related to the initial ADC calibration process. The work-around solution can be either one of the following.

1. The 3.3V power-up slew rate need to be fast enough.
  2. Generate a fault intentionally and clear it, and this will trigger the current offset calibration process again which will update the affected 2 parameter values.

A thorough fix can be expected in the newer FW release.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Krupashankar

Hi @aneedles

Thanks! for posting in the Infineon Community.

Yes, the startup must be the same in both cases.

Could you please share your .mc2 file and let us know if you are configuring any other register in MCE designer before starting the motor.

After powering it ON are you immediately trying to run the motor? and Please let us know what is the error which you are getting.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes

The platform does not accept the .mc2 file directly, so I put it in a zip folder.

For this version, the motor starts either way, but then runs with significantly more vibration when the controller is restarted and the motor run without re-programming parameters. It seems that one of the parameters is not getting updated except in the case of programming through MCEDesigner just before running.

Yes, after powering on, immediately running the motor using the motor start button on MCEDesigner. There is no error, just a significant difference in motor operation.

0 Likes

And here are two plots of activity at 200rpm showing the difference in behavior in the two cases. 

After programming parameters and start:

200rpm After programming params and start.jpg

After controller bootup and start:

Motor operation is visibly rougher, more vibration, more noise.

200rpm After controller bootup and start.jpg

0 Likes

I have verified this also occurs when set to Analog VSP.

We really need a fix or work-around since this makes certain testing impossible since we cannot always load the parameters using MCE Designer right before operation.

0 Likes

For those who are still reading, one temporary work-around seems to be to force a fault and then restart. At least with VSP control mode, a fault and automatic restart appears to fix this behavior once the controller starts up again after the fault.

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @aneedles,

This is related to the initial ADC calibration process. The work-around solution can be either one of the following.

1. The 3.3V power-up slew rate need to be fast enough.
  2. Generate a fault intentionally and clear it, and this will trigger the current offset calibration process again which will update the affected 2 parameter values.

A thorough fix can be expected in the newer FW release.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes