Supported chips

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RuHe_1008296
Level 3
Level 3
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First reply posted

Hi

We are developing a application in MBed using both WiFi and BLE. For now we are using the the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W as a test development board, but are planing to use our own custom hardware setup. In this setup we will also use a CYW4343W the wifi/BLE chip.

What are the requirement for the psoc6 chips in order to run this setup? I guess i need one with crypto acceleration, but does i need UDB blocks in order to create the SDIO? Are there any of these chips that cannot run the mbed os with the CYW4343W?.

pastedImage_1.png

On the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W the chip is a CY8C624ABZI-D44ES which i cannot find in the datasheet, but i guess it is similar to the CY8C6247BZI-D44, but with more flash/sram.

0 Likes
1 Solution

PSoC 6 devices either have UDBs or SDHC. If it is a UDB device, ModusToolbox pulls in the UDB configuration automatically so you don't need to mess with it. The UDB implementation has, however, just one channel that is dedicated to the wireless device. For devices with the SDHC (host controller) block then you have two channels and one is free to use for an SD card.

I am not a part number guru but want to also get you a clearer response on the specific parts. Give me a while to dig in and rattle some cages!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
markgsaunders
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

As of today, all PSoC 6 devices can support wireless communication in Mbed OS. Obviously, the kits you see in os.mbed.com/teams/Cypress/ have fully tested BSPs, but they are modifiable to use a different MCU without too much fuss. The device requirements are really just SDIO support and enough memory to run the application. In devices that are shipping in volume today the SDIO is implemented in UDBs. In our newer devices, such as those with 2MB and 512kB flash, we have implemented the SDIO as fixed blocks for area efficiency. There is no functional compromise due to the SDIO implementation.

Crytpo is not a must have, but is highly recommended as nearly any connected device will use encrypted protocols, such as HTTPS. While Mbed OS has a software source of entropy for encrypting/decrypting the data, using a PSoC with hardware crypto will have performance improvements.

Looks like you have the ideal kit for exploration/prototyping in the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W. The Pioneer (Arduino style) CY8CKIT-062-WIFI-BT is another good one that uses 4343W.

So what about CY8C6247BZI-D44 which have no UDB's? Can it still use the SDIO function?

On the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W it is possible ti use both SDIO to the wifi, and another to a SD card. Is this also possible in all psoc6 or only on a sub-set of them?

0 Likes

PSoC 6 devices either have UDBs or SDHC. If it is a UDB device, ModusToolbox pulls in the UDB configuration automatically so you don't need to mess with it. The UDB implementation has, however, just one channel that is dedicated to the wireless device. For devices with the SDHC (host controller) block then you have two channels and one is free to use for an SD card.

I am not a part number guru but want to also get you a clearer response on the specific parts. Give me a while to dig in and rattle some cages!

OK, I found my local part number whisperer. You have an early version of the PROTO kit with a CY8C624ABZI-D44ES device. The ES means Engineering Sample but the device is OK to use for development. That device had a name change before production and is now the CY8C624ABZI-S2D44. So you have a 2MB device with a 2-channel SDHC controller.

I just built (mostly for my benefit!!!) a handy-dandy part number interpreter - looking at the start of the MPN you will see CY8C6x, where 'x' has this meaning (flash/SRAM):

• A is 2048/1024 with 2-channel SDHC
  • 8 is 1024/512 with 2-channel SDHC
  • 7 is 1024/288 with 1-channel UDB-based SDHC
  • 6 is 512/128 with 1-channel UDB-based SDHC
  • 5 is 512/256 with 2-channel SDHC (coming soon)