Package current limit for AIMW120R035M1HXKSA1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Arturo
Level 1
Level 1
First like given 5 sign-ins First like received

Hi there,

I want to know the package current limit for the AIMW120R035M1HXKSA1.

On the datasheet for the AIMW120R035M1HXKSA1, an SOA graph is provided (I took snippet of it and this SOA graph is shown below). I am wondering if the maximum current(approximately 130A by eyeball estimate) line shown on the SOA graph is the device package limit.

Also, the SOA graph provided on the datasheet is for Tc = 25degC, does the maximum current shown on the SOA  go down as Tc increases? 

Arturo_3-1652132671868.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
sushank
25 solutions authored 100 sign-ins 50 replies posted

hello there

thank you posting question in the infineon community 

please use this graph Id vs Tc  

drain current capability reduces with case temperature increase. 

the graph you attached shows the pulse drain current which is again limited by the case temperature.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
electricuwe
10 sign-ins First question asked 5 sign-ins

Hi Arturo, 

the SOA diagram is not intended to provide a limit for the current capability of the package. It reflects the combinations of current and voltage that are permissible for the semiconductor itself during a transient event. For continous drain current see the table with the maximum ratings: 41 A at 100°C case. In most high current discrete applications the limit is given by the solder connection to the PCB and hence to large extend depending on the application conditions.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

You mentioned that the SOA gives the Ids limit for a given Vds during a transient event. My general understanding is that the longer the transient  event the lower the Ids limit is for a given Vds voltage. Currently, on the datasheet's SOA graph it does not mention the transient duration.

For our application the  steady state current that will go through the MOSFET is about 68Arms (peak current of about 96A). However, there are transient current reaching up to 180A with a sinusoidal type waveform for a few hundred microseconds (300-500 microseconds). If I put say two or three of the AIMW120R035M1HXKSA1  in parallel can you comment if the AIMW120R035M1HXKSA1   will be suitable for such application?

Thanks,

0 Likes
sushank

Hi there 

yes the transient duration is not mentioned 

keeping two or three mosfet's in parallel will surely serve the steady state operation but for transient as you told 180 amps for 0.3 msec approx you have to calculate the power loss. what you can do is simulate it in lt spice and calculate the power loss from their you can check the junction temperature temp should not exceed 160degC. 

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
sushank

hello there

thank you posting question in the infineon community 

please use this graph Id vs Tc  

drain current capability reduces with case temperature increase. 

the graph you attached shows the pulse drain current which is again limited by the case temperature.  

sushank

due to no further questions we are closing this thread. 

thanks!

0 Likes