Mosfet Blown up

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Ankit_singh
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I was using n channel power mosfet 

AUIRFP4110.

Ankit_singh_0-1656350160989.png

by applying Vgs=12 V (in series  with 1k resistor) , Parallel resistance between GS was 1K(for fast switching), Vds=50 V .

Mosfet was working fine till 5 Amp load & switching was too good but when I switched the load to 10 Amp ; the mosfet got blown up immediately. Testing scenario was within the specified range as per datasheet ; please let me know your valuable thoughts to rectify this problem.

Regards,

Ankit Singh

0 Likes
1 Solution
vigneshkumar
25 likes received 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Hi Ankit,

Problem summary as per the discussion we had with you :

MOSFET (AUIRFP4410) blown up while loaded at 10A it was working fine when loaded with 5A. No frequency involved it was one time Turn-ON. Load increased with Rheostat.12VDC Applied to gate through Rg - 1k, Rgs- 1k. Vds- 50V. heat sink details -Unknown. please correct if anything is wrong.

This could be the Possible cause .

Rg and Rgs will act as Voltage Divider, Effective voltage at gate would be 6V, lesser the gate voltage higher the Rds-on, which will generate more heat. MOSFET may fail if there is no heatsink used.

Solution: Rg value should be reduced and add a suitable heatsink. Pls Refer Gate resistor selection.

We can figure out exact issue if you share test setup detail and Vgs, Vds voltage waveform.

Regards,

Vignesh kumar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
vigneshkumar

Hi Ankit,

Thanks for posting in Infineon community.

Could you please share driver detail and frequency of operation?

Regards,

Vignesh kumar.

0 Likes
I was not using any gate driver ; I had just applied isolated 12V DC as Vgs
through 1k resistor.

--
Best Regards,
Ankit Singh
Electrical Engineer

Phone no. - (+91)9458707512
0 Likes
vigneshkumar

Hi Ankit,

Problem summary as per the discussion we had with you :

MOSFET (AUIRFP4410) blown up while loaded at 10A it was working fine when loaded with 5A. No frequency involved it was one time Turn-ON. Load increased with Rheostat.12VDC Applied to gate through Rg - 1k, Rgs- 1k. Vds- 50V. heat sink details -Unknown. please correct if anything is wrong.

This could be the Possible cause .

Rg and Rgs will act as Voltage Divider, Effective voltage at gate would be 6V, lesser the gate voltage higher the Rds-on, which will generate more heat. MOSFET may fail if there is no heatsink used.

Solution: Rg value should be reduced and add a suitable heatsink. Pls Refer Gate resistor selection.

We can figure out exact issue if you share test setup detail and Vgs, Vds voltage waveform.

Regards,

Vignesh kumar

0 Likes