Chargers 50 to 350 kW Components

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
poscl
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 likes given 5 sign-ins

Hello everyone,
I would like to set up various chargers in the DC range. Infineon offers chargers in the range 50-350 kW, but unfortunately I don't really know yet which exact components I need for the respective charging station. Is there possibly already an exemplary composition of components for certain charging powers? In other words, a list with the required components / number for a charging station with 50 kW, one for 150 kW and one for 350 kW.

Can anyone in the community help me here?

(https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/applications/industrial/fast-ev-charging/chargers-from-50kw-to-350kw...)

0 Likes
1 Solution
Guru_Prasad
250 replies posted 100 solutions authored 25 likes received

Hello @poscl 

Thanks for posting your question in the Infineon community.

The EV charging station needs a two-stage power conversion  system (Stage -1 is AC-DC and stage - 2 is DC-DC ) 

Depending on the power rating of AC-DC  and DC-DC , topology and devices will be changed.

As per your requirements. you need three different rating power converters, for more details please click here

Let me know if you need any additional details

Thanks

Guru 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Guru_Prasad

Hello @poscl 

Thanks for posting your question in the Infineon community.

The EV charging station needs a two-stage power conversion  system (Stage -1 is AC-DC and stage - 2 is DC-DC ) 

Depending on the power rating of AC-DC  and DC-DC , topology and devices will be changed.

As per your requirements. you need three different rating power converters, for more details please click here

Let me know if you need any additional details

Thanks

Guru 

Hello @Guru_Prasad , 

thank you for your quick response. I have some further questions linked to this topic. 

I understood from your document that it is recommended to prefer a modular design for high power.

Accordingly, I would like to model a charger with a power of 60 kW and then increase this to 120 kW, 180 kW and so on. To do this I would use the following components from Infineon: (page 25 in the skilful document):

AC/DC: 40 kHz
Product: 1200 V CoolSiC™ Easy 2B (Part number: F3L15MR12W2M1; Pcs: 3).
Driver IC; Product: EiceDRIVER™ 1ED (Part number: 1EDI40I12AH; Pcs: 6)

DC/DC: 120 to 140 kHz
Product: 1200 V CoolSiC™ MOSFET (Part number: FF11MR12W1M1_B11; Pcs: 3)
Product: 1200 V CoolSiCTM diode (Part number: DDB2U60N12W1RF_B11; Pcs: 2)
Driver IC; Product: EiceDRIVER™ 1ED (Part number: 1EDI20I12AH; Pcs: 6)
Stage: µC
Product: XMC™ 4000 4x PWM timers (Part number: XMC4400-F100K512 BA; Pcs: 2)

For Gate Driver AC/DC:
MOSFET Gate Driver:
2EDF7275F (https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/power/gate-driver-ics/2edf7275f/)
CoolSic Gate Driver:
2EDS8165H (https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/power/gate-driver-ics/2eds8165h/)
IGBT GAte Driver:
EiceDRIVER™1ED34x1Mc12M Enhanced (https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-1ED34x1Mx12M-DataSheet-v01_10-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d46274cf54d50...)

Gate Driver DC/DC:
MOSFET Gate Driver:
2EDF7275F (https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/power/gate-driver-ics/2edf7275f/)
CoolSic Gate Driver:
1ED3890MC12M (https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/power/gate-driver-ics/1ed3890mc12m/)
IGBT GAte Driver: 1ED3321MC12N (https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/power/gate-driver-ics/1ed3321mc12n/)

DC/AC current sensor: TLI4971 (https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-TLI4971_25_50_75_120-DataSheet-v01_30-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d4627...)

AC/AC current sensor: TLI4971 (https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-TLI4971_25_50_75_120-DataSheet-v01_30-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d4627...)

Auxiliary Power Supply: ICE5AR4770AG (https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/power/ac-dc-power-conversion/ac-dc-integrated-power-stage-co...)
Microcontroller: XMC1000, XMC4000, Optiga™

Security: OPTIGA TRUST M SLS32AIA (https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/product/security-smart-card-solutions/optiga-embedded-security-solut...)

This list contains all components for a charging station with the power of 60 kW. Can you confirm whether the components are the right ones for this and also tell me how many of each must be used? At the moment I have assumed that each component listed only has to be used once. Is that correct?

I also have a question about the scaling. If I have installed a 60 kW with all components and I now want to expand to 120 kW, 180 kW, etc., do I simply take all the installed parts times 2 if I need 120 kW of power? Or are there certain parts, such as microcontrollers or security components, which only have to be installed once for the entire system?

Best regards
Pascal

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @poscl 

This list contains all components for a charging station with the power of 60 kW. Can you confirm whether the components are the right ones for this and also tell me how many of each must be used? At the moment I have assumed that each component listed only has to be used once. Is that correct?

Ans: Yes your understanding is correct 

I also have a question about the scaling. If I have installed a 60 kW with all components and I now want to expand to 120 kW, 180 kW, etc., do I simply take all the installed parts times 2 if I need 120 kW of power? Or are there certain parts, such as microcontrollers or security components, which only have to be installed once for the entire system?

Ans: Yes we need to have a separate central microcontroller for controlling all modules.

Please let me know if you need any help

Thanks

Guru 

Guru_Prasad

Hello @poscl 

The DC-DC converter configuration can be changed and the circuit is showed in below fig

Guru_Prasad_0-1660101581770.png

the components are for DC-DC is :

Product: 1200 V CoolSiC™ MOSFET (Part number: FF11MR12W1M1_B11; Pcs: 6)

Driver IC; Product: EiceDRIVER™ 1ED (Part number: 1EDI20I12AH; Pcs: 12)

remaining all components are same 

Please let me know if you need any additional help

Thank you

Guru

Hello @Guru_Prasad , 

thank you for your help and support. 

With regard to the choice of components, all questions were thus clarified for me.

I also have two follow-up questions. Firstly, whether the number of components of a BMS, Communication, Auxiliary Supply, Security also increases linearly with the modular design of the charger.

This means that for the 60 kW charger I need 1 component of each and for the 120 kW charger 2 components of each of the above. Or is there a component that only needs to be used once for a composite charger?

I would also like to know what the abbreviation Pcs means.

Best regards

poscl_0-1660122926138.png

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @poscl 

The BMS is not part of the EV charging station, it is part of the vehicle. The central microcontroller is to be used for communication and coordination of all submodules.

The auxiliary supply and security modules need to used per module one unit hence it will increase linearly.

Pcs means number of pieces.

Please let me know if you need any help

Thanks

Guru

poscl
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 likes given 5 sign-ins

Hello @Guru_Prasad 

Thank you again for your very helpful response. 

There are still a few small questions from my side.

Does there have to be an additional separate cooling system? If so, is this cooling system based on air or is it a liquid cooling system?

With the 60 KW converter, does the current have to go through another EMI filter beforehand?

In addition to Infineon's current power consumption, is there also a detailed version of how much power may have been consumed in the automotive parts area?

Best regards 

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @poscl 

I have answered your questions. The answers are followed  

Does there have to be an additional separate cooling system? If so, is this cooling system based on air or is it a liquid cooling system?

This converter has two possibilities one is air-cooled and another one is liquid-cooled. it depends on the application 

• Application point of view. Requirements are in general governed by two aspects:
    • Power that needs to be dissipated
      • Power semiconductor and passives need to be considered
      • Using SiC is a benefit as it reduces losses
    • Environmental conditions in regard to climate and pollution
      • If the equipment is installed indoors in dedicated locations providing ventilation, air filter or even air conditioning, requirements are low and the units can be designed like e.g. a laboratory power supply or a telco rectifier
      • For outdoor installation there are more challenges: sensitive electronic components have to be protected from polluted external air, in spite of their cooling requirements, specifying ingress protection IP54 and outdoor use is the minimum requirement
  • How to design:
    • The simplest and cheapest design is to blow air through all of the enclosure – works well under benign conditions for a limited time
    • A more advanced approach puts all components with a significant loss on a large heatsink and only exposes the fins to the dirty ambient whereas the rest of the system is well protected – this works indoors and outdoors. The fin spacing determines how robust this design is against pollution.
    • Liquid cooling – with liquid cooling power electronics can be designed even for extremely unfavorable environmental conditions. Such kind of cooling is only chosen when there is extreme pollution or some kind of synergy with the rest of the system – in this case maybe the cooling of the cable.
  • The demonstrator:

The demonstrator design can be easily adapted to all three methods of cooling, the power rating to be achieved will vary

• In general: the cooling system is governed by the conditions at the location of use. There is no benefit in using a cheap charger with complex additional systems to improve conditions or to minimize power semiconductor bill by liquid cooling without considering the quite high cost of a good liquid cooling system.

With the 60 KW converter, does the current have to go through another EMI filter beforehand?

since you are paralleling 60kW modules the EMI filter is also used separately single EMI filter for all submodules are not suppress the noise. This EMI filter is designed based on single converter noise so you have to use it separately

In addition to Infineon's current power consumption, is there also a detailed version of how much power may have been consumed in the automotive parts area?

may I know what is automotive parts area? Do you mean internal Power electronic switches?

Please feel free to post any technical question 

Thanks

Guru

Hello Guru, 

thank you again for your response and all of your help. 

I am trying to build a holistic charger with all components like transformer, dc/dc and ac/dc converter with its diodes, capacitors and all the power electronic parts like gate driver, mosfet etc. 

Best regards
Pascal 

0 Likes
Guru_Prasad

Hello @poscl 

Yes, you are in the right direction, please built your circuit step by step.

Step-1 choose indoor or outdoor charging station

step-2 finalize your topology and control strategy  and make a schematic accordingly 

step-3 make PCB and test it 

Please post any technical questions on this forum we are happy to help you

Thanks

Guru Prasad