FM4 UART 4 High Temperature

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dchew
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

I'm encountering an issue when operating UART 4 at elevated temperatures. The part I am using is S6E2HG6G0AGV20000 which is rated to 125 degrees C. UART 4 on this chip is on pins 5 and 6 and hardware flow control is disabled. When the microcontroller temperature gets to about 70 degrees C the UART 4 transmit/receive operation starts to fail. I am also operating UART 0, 1, and 2 at the same time but those UARTs continue to operate as normal at elevated temperatures. 

Has anybody encountered this issue or knows what the possible root cause could be?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Roy_Liu
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hi,

Possibly the operation temperature is too high. 

Do you refer to the "13.2 Recommended Operating Conditions" in the device datasheet for debugging the problem? Note, the 125 degrees C is the maximum Junction temp, which is not directly measurable usually.

Anyway, 70 ℃ (Ambient temp) is at the edge of over temp if the Pd(Power dissipation) is high,  to debug this, you may check if the problem is consistent with UART 4 on the other board if you have, or lower the Pd(shutdown some other functions of the device) to see if UART 4 can work at the same temp. 

Roy Liu

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Roy_Liu
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hi,

Possibly the operation temperature is too high. 

Do you refer to the "13.2 Recommended Operating Conditions" in the device datasheet for debugging the problem? Note, the 125 degrees C is the maximum Junction temp, which is not directly measurable usually.

Anyway, 70 ℃ (Ambient temp) is at the edge of over temp if the Pd(Power dissipation) is high,  to debug this, you may check if the problem is consistent with UART 4 on the other board if you have, or lower the Pd(shutdown some other functions of the device) to see if UART 4 can work at the same temp. 

Roy Liu
0 Likes