SRAM0 vs SRAM1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ToVa_1580951
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First reply posted

Hi,

I'm otpimizing my linker script for the MB9BF321K and I was wondering what the difference was between the SRAM0 and SRAM1.

I do know that SRAM0 is connected to I-code bus and D-code bus of Cortex-M3 core and SRAM1 is connected to System bus. But in the standard linker file the SRAM1 isn't used.

When should SRAM 0 or 1 be used? What can they not be used for? What is the difference? And what advantage does one have over the other?

It's a shame to have an extra 8kB of RAM where I can't find a purpose for.

Gr.

Tom

0 Likes
1 Solution
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hello Tom,

Sorry for the late response.

Both SRAMs can be used for code execution and data storage, but there are few things to mention:

- SRAM1 ist not directly connected to I- and D-Bus, thus code execution might be slightly slower.

- When using both SRAMs for data storage, a variable should not be placed partially in both SRAMs.

For example : 32bit access to 0x1FFF_FFFD

Expected access : 0x1FFF_FFFD, 0x1FFF_FFFE, 0x1FFF_FFFF, 0x2000_0000

Real access : 0x1FFF_FFFD, 0x1FFF_FFFE, 0x1FFF_FFFF, 0x0000_0000 (wrap around)

See also Chapter 14.9 in: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0337e/DDI0337E_cortex_m3_r1p1_trm.pdf

Because of the second behavior and the precautions that have ot be made SRAM1 is not used in the default linker files.

kind regards,

Achim

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
ToVa_1580951
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First reply posted

Cypress crew?

0 Likes
AchimE_41
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First comment on KBA

Hello Tom,

Sorry for the late response.

Both SRAMs can be used for code execution and data storage, but there are few things to mention:

- SRAM1 ist not directly connected to I- and D-Bus, thus code execution might be slightly slower.

- When using both SRAMs for data storage, a variable should not be placed partially in both SRAMs.

For example : 32bit access to 0x1FFF_FFFD

Expected access : 0x1FFF_FFFD, 0x1FFF_FFFE, 0x1FFF_FFFF, 0x2000_0000

Real access : 0x1FFF_FFFD, 0x1FFF_FFFE, 0x1FFF_FFFF, 0x0000_0000 (wrap around)

See also Chapter 14.9 in: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0337e/DDI0337E_cortex_m3_r1p1_trm.pdf

Because of the second behavior and the precautions that have ot be made SRAM1 is not used in the default linker files.

kind regards,

Achim

0 Likes