AMOLED Power and dimming solution

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dto10000
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

I'm looking to power and control the dimming for an AMOLED display, and was looking for help in how to connect the power and dimming of the amoled. To my understanding, AMOLED displays don't have a backlight, so it's not possible to change the brightness of the actual display. Instead, you can change the voltage/current or the duty cycle of the power to the display to change the brightness.

I'm planning on using an STM32 processor and getting power from USB-C connected to a computer or laptop. I believe that I need a display bias PMIC as a power supply for the display, but I'm not sure how/what dimming solution fits into the circuit.

There's two different types of dimming for OLED: DC dimming and PWM, and I would prefer to use DC dimming, but if it's not possible PWM is fine as well.

For PWM, do I simply connect the output of the display bias to a transistor and change the duty cycle to change the brightness of the display?

If there was any recommendations for chips to use and their circuit configurations that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Kanahaiya_K
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 10 likes given

Hi @dto10000 

Unfortunately, We don't have any dedicated drivers for the dimming purpose of the AMOLED Display.
But  ILD8150 and CDM10V  can be used for dimming purposes.
For more details, you can refer to the attached Datasheet.

Regards,
Kanahaiya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Kanahaiya_K

Hi @dto10000 

Thanks for posting on the Infineon Developer Community.
Your understanding is correct. AMOLED Display doesn't have a backlight. So, To change the brightness of the display we need to change the voltage/current/ the duty cycle.

To support you in a better way. 
Can you please share the following information

1.Data sheet of the AMOLED display

2.Input specifications & output specifications of the display i.e. voltage, current, power requirement, etc.

3. Mention your End applications also.

Best Regards
Kanahaiya

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi Kumarkanahai,

The exact AMOLED display isn't finalized yet, the PV13904PY24G is the most likely candidate, but I'll also attach the alternatives. The TSO014 is very similar to that display as far as power is concerned, but the TA014 requires a positive/negative power supply.

For the end application, I want to put it on a boxtop with only a usb-c connection as input/output, connected to a computer or laptop.

Thanks!

0 Likes
lock attach
Kanahaiya_K

Hi @dto10000 

Unfortunately, We don't have any dedicated drivers for the dimming purpose of the AMOLED Display.
But  ILD8150 and CDM10V  can be used for dimming purposes.
For more details, you can refer to the attached Datasheet.

Regards,
Kanahaiya

0 Likes