GaN EiceDRIVER 1EDF5673K

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Flex
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First like given Welcome!

Hi, 

as described in the datasheet of the "GaN EiceDRIVER 1EDF5673K", the IC is specially developed for GIT technology based products like the "IGT60R070D1".

My question is, if the "1EDF5673K" can also be used for GaN HEMT devices that have a p-GaN-Gate with a schottky-contact. I don't know why it should not work, maybe someone can help me with this. 

Best Regards 

Felix

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

The Infineon CoolGaN gate structure is not the conventional Schottky gate used in other enhancement-mode GaN transistors. It is an ohmic gate contact. 

If the p-gate is contacted by means of a Schottky contact, the resulting device is basically compatible with standard driving. However, as the gate is highly sensitive to over-voltages, the gate voltage has to be limited very accurately, and it is difficult to keep the optimum drive voltage over current and temperature variations.
So Infineon chose the concept of combining a pGaN gate with an ohmic contact. This leads to a non-isolated gate structure with a diode-like input characteristic that is best driven by a small current, but on the other hand provides a very reliable and robust gate structure and high performance.

The device parameters for different HV-GaN switch concepts is as below,

Abhilash_P_0-1635521568602.png

The gate threshold voltage as per the datasheet of 1EDF5673K is around 1 to 1.2V which is very low compared to the threshold voltage of pGaN Schottky.  

Abhilash_P_1-1635521938226.png

I hope this explanation has answered your query on the CoolGaN gate drive.

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

The Infineon CoolGaN gate structure is not the conventional Schottky gate used in other enhancement-mode GaN transistors. It is an ohmic gate contact. 

If the p-gate is contacted by means of a Schottky contact, the resulting device is basically compatible with standard driving. However, as the gate is highly sensitive to over-voltages, the gate voltage has to be limited very accurately, and it is difficult to keep the optimum drive voltage over current and temperature variations.
So Infineon chose the concept of combining a pGaN gate with an ohmic contact. This leads to a non-isolated gate structure with a diode-like input characteristic that is best driven by a small current, but on the other hand provides a very reliable and robust gate structure and high performance.

The device parameters for different HV-GaN switch concepts is as below,

Abhilash_P_0-1635521568602.png

The gate threshold voltage as per the datasheet of 1EDF5673K is around 1 to 1.2V which is very low compared to the threshold voltage of pGaN Schottky.  

Abhilash_P_1-1635521938226.png

I hope this explanation has answered your query on the CoolGaN gate drive.

Regards,

Abhilash P