Question How to select Thyristor?

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Miyata
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - TED (Japan)
First comment on KBA 25 replies posted 10 solutions authored

Hi, I got question from my medical equipment customer that they  want to choose Thyristor to their new design.

Attached is their circuit, condition.  My suggestion would be T3800 or T2160.

Will you pls let me know...

1) In this attached condition, pls let me know how to select right Thyristor step by step.

2) Pls suggest me the part number of Thyristor and let me know the reason behind of it.

Appreciate for your support!

Thanks & b.regards,

Koji Miyata of TED

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Miyata
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and thank you for your suggestion.

Will you pls suggest also for Diode part number which also use with your recommended Thyristor?

Diode must be  select from Disc form?

Thanks & b.regards,

Koji Miyata of TED

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
AZIZ_HASSAN
50 likes received 5 likes given 250 sign-ins

Hi,

Thank you for posting at Infineon community.

Please clarify the following doubts.

1) If I am not wrong, it is a self resonating circuit and the capacitor charges through the thyristor and gets discharged through diode .

2) The timing given in discharge scheme is very hazy. Can you please send me a clear picture of it.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes
lock attach
Miyata
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'll respond to your above question.

1) If I am not wrong, it is a self resonating circuit and the capacitor charges through the thyristor and gets discharged through diode .

(answer) Yes, your understanding is correct.

2) The timing given in discharge scheme is very hazy. Can you please send me a clear picture of it.

(answer) I resend the document which was originally made by customer.  Sorry written in Japanese.

Also, I explain it in text too.  Apply sine wave 300 micro sec then 19.7 micro sec off (A).

Repeat 3 times (A) then off for 159.7 msecond.  TTL 30 sine wave apply in 2 second then rest for 8 second .

Then repeat 20times for those exercise that equal apply 600 sine wave TTL.

Thanks & b.regards,

Koji Miyata of TED

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hi,

Thanks for the details and sorry for late reply.

I understood your requirement and as per my analysis, the peak current requirement is 5500A.

There are few key points which we need to keep in mind while selecting thyristor.

1) Peak current     2) On state average current    3) RMS current      4) Blocking voltage      5) Electrical /light triggered    6) Operating temperature.

Lets have a look at your peak current requirement and calculate the other parameters. Ip= 5500A and the on state time is 150usec. but for calculation, lets take the on state time as 10msec.(which is nothing but half sine wave time for 50Hz which is generally specified in data sheet).This operating time is overestimated and hence, whatever result we get will be optimistic.

As we know, for half sine wave, the average current equation is 

AZIZ_HASSAN_0-1659075740615.png                 eq.......1

and similarly, rms current equation will be,

AZIZ_HASSAN_1-1659075833939.png                      eq...............2

In equation, 1 and 2 if we put  Imax= 5500A, 

Iavg= 1751.6 A and    Irms = 2750A.

Any thyristor can operate continuously (180 degree conduction i.e. half sine wave for 50/60Hz) up to its rated average, rms , peak current and operating temperature range. But your requirement  is only a burst cycle operation mode which is less stressful than rated conditions.

Hence, as per results (which is overcalculated because of higher conduction time taken), if we select a thyristor greater than, calculated values, it will suffice the requirement.

So, I recommend you a 2180A (average current), 1800V, 85Degree temperature and electrically triggered thyristor having part number- T2180N.

I have attached the data sheet for your reference.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-T2180N-DS-v02_00-en_de.pdf?fileId=db3a304323b87bc201240b719a2...

Please let me know if you need further clarity.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes
lock attach
Miyata
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and thank you for your suggestion.

Will you pls suggest also for Diode part number which also use with your recommended Thyristor?

Diode must be  select from Disc form?

Thanks & b.regards,

Koji Miyata of TED

0 Likes
AZIZ_HASSAN

Hi,

Since, I have suggested you a disc type thyristor, I would like to suggest you a disc type diode as well  for these type of thyristor applications.

The part number is D2200N or D2520N. Please let me know your size constrains (if you have any) for the stack (thyristor +diode) development. We can help to find a suitable diode as per your stack size and cooling constraints.

Note- Please design a suitable heat sink to keep  the junction  temperature well in limit at any operating condition.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes
Miyata
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Appreciate for your support!

Based on your information, I'll respond back to my customer.

Thanks & b.regards,

Koji Miyata of TED

0 Likes