Activate trace at smart switch demo

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Nicolai
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First like received First reply posted

hi there,

im a newbie at Modus Toolbox, cypress project structures and Bluetooth SDK.

I have to evaluate the Bluetooth Mesh functionality and the SDK of your product. I use 2 CYBT-213043-MESH kits to get an overview.

I download the Mesh_Demp_Smart_Light & Smart_Switch project examples to understand the server & client functionality of the mesh network. I followed all the instructions given by the readme.md at the "smart switch" project, and in general i can see the motion status at the trace of the windows MeshClient tool. But i cant see any trace if i press one of the "user-buttons" of the 2 kits. Of cource the LED is switched on at the smart light app kit, if i press its button, but no trace about any message transfer to smart switch app kit and vice versa.

1. am i wrong with my expectations? Or do i have to change some configurations?

2. How can i activate the trace output of the "smart switch" project? I changed the makefile MESH_MODELS_DEBUG_TRACES ?= 1 & MESH_CORE_DEBUG_TRACES ?= 1 but no output at PUART. I use HTerm with 115200 Baud 8N1. What else do i have to connect / set (jumper)? or configure? I use the USB connector of the board, is this correct?!

Thanks for your help

Nicolai

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

I could see PUART traces on Hterm when I programmed Mesh_Demo_Smart_Switch on CYBT-213043-MESH kit. The device has two UART ports - HCI UART and PUART port. The debug messages are configured to route to PUART in mesh_app_hci.c ("mtb_shared\wiced_btsdk\dev-kit\libraries\btsdk-mesh\release-v2.9.0\COMPONENT_mesh_app_lib").

wiced_hal_puart_configuration(921600, PARITY_NONE, STOP_BIT_1);

As you can see the baudrate is 921600 and I have also used it and it works well.

puart.JPG

Please check whether the device is programmed properly or not. (Verify from Modustoolbox console logs).

Please try to use the latest BTSDK (v2.9) and latest Modustoolbox software.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
DheerajPK_41

Hi,

Could you please try using 921600 as baud rate?

I hope the app functionality is working fine for you. But the device trace through PUART is not visible. Change the baud rate and try again.

Please check out the link https://www.cypress.com/products/bluetooth-low-energy-mesh for more information/documentation about Bluetooth mesh.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes
Nicolai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dheeraj,

same problem with the other baudrate. No output seen via USB PUART interface at the PC. My Tool HTerm shows nothing, so i think it is a configuration problem at the EVAL-Kit, else HTerm should show some stupid characters, right?! My Windows 10 PC shows me 2 serial COM ports (29 & 30). On both no communication at all, with and without CTS flow control.

At the Mesh_Demo_Smart_Switch Project i can find a WICED_BT_TRACE Macro which sends data via PUART to the PC?? I use "Shared Libraries" (its configurated when i open this project as new application), so i can't see whats behind this Macro. Or did i get this wrong?

Thanks,

Nicolai

0 Likes
DheerajPK_41

Hi,

I could see PUART traces on Hterm when I programmed Mesh_Demo_Smart_Switch on CYBT-213043-MESH kit. The device has two UART ports - HCI UART and PUART port. The debug messages are configured to route to PUART in mesh_app_hci.c ("mtb_shared\wiced_btsdk\dev-kit\libraries\btsdk-mesh\release-v2.9.0\COMPONENT_mesh_app_lib").

wiced_hal_puart_configuration(921600, PARITY_NONE, STOP_BIT_1);

As you can see the baudrate is 921600 and I have also used it and it works well.

puart.JPG

Please check whether the device is programmed properly or not. (Verify from Modustoolbox console logs).

Please try to use the latest BTSDK (v2.9) and latest Modustoolbox software.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes
Nicolai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dheeraj,

thanks a lot, now it works.

i reworked all the steps again, stored a new project to a new folder, activate the trace outputs at the makefile and used the described baudrate at HTerm. I thought i did exactly the same befor, probably not :o(

I hope to see now whats going on at the system, thanks again.

Nicolai