power mode reverts back unexpectively from always awaken mode to fast mode after about 10 seconds

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jean-yves
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi,

We have experienced a strange behaviour of the CYW43455 kernel module about power mode.

After setting up the wlan0 I discovered that the power mode was FAST mode (=2) by default. As we want a permanent connection I called 'wl PM 0' in order to set it in ALWAYS AWAKEN mode (=0).

However the PM automatically reverted back to FAST mode after about 10 seconds. This happens once.

Workaround is to sleep a while (like 10 seconds) before calling wl PM 0 again, but this introduces an unacceptable delay.

What could be the cause, and what are the right commands to set it correctly ?

thanks very much,

Regards,

Jean-Yves

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @Vivek_gunapati  , we had to focus on getting the hardware and software out to start the phones manufacturing, which made me suspend the FMAC changes and live with the workaround (background script that checks the rollback).
Maybe you want to close the issue? np, when it's time for us to resume, I'll just reopen the issue or open a new one, if necessary.
Thank you very much for your support. It is very much appreciated.
Best regards,
Jean-Yves

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Vivek_gunapati
250 replies posted 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

Hi Jean-Yves,  

To understand the setup better could you please let me know the following .

1) Which Firmware version are you using? the latest firmware /drivers can be found in the following link -> https://community.cypress.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-20...

The version number an be found by using the command "wl ver"

2) "The PM automatically reverted back to FAST mode after about 10 seconds. This happens once".
Does this happen 10 seconds after wl PM 0 for the first time after wlan interface is up or during random times?

3)"Workaround is to sleep a while (like 10 seconds) before calling wl PM 0 again, but this introduces an unacceptable delay."
To confirm If wl PM 0 is called again in less than 10seconds does the wl PM revert back to 2?

Regards,vivek

0 Likes
jean-yves
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Vivek,

Thanks a lot for your fast response. Here the details you requested :
1) firmware version :
# wl ver
1.363 RC125.7
wl0: Oct 29 2017 20:19:13 version 7.45.100.9 (r674581 CY) FWID 01-dfcf7383

The current firmware : bcm43455-7.45.100.9.bin
The latest from your link: cyfmac43455-sdio.bin

-> The interface does not set up with the latest firmware: wl: wl driver adapter not found

2) I identified that starting the wpa_supplicant daemon seems to initiate a 15 seconds timer after which the PM reverts back to default (2).

In this test, the wl PM 0 was called long time (at least 30 sec) before the wpa_supplicant start and was stable at 0 during this time.

The wpa command :
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D nl80211 -c $wpa_conf -B

wpa conf :
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
update_config=1
network={
   ssid="<myssid>"
   psk="<mykey>"
}

3) Yes, the PM reverted back to 2 after the 15 seconds delay described above.

Thanks, regards,
Jean-Yves

0 Likes
Vivek_gunapati

Hi Jean-Yves, 

Thank you for your reply, Could you please let me know your setup details, 

Are you using Linux or Android? Is it a DHD or FMAC release ?

Does the issue seen while connected to an AP ? if yes could you please try the same with out connecting to an AP?

Regards, Vivek

0 Likes
jean-yves
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Vivek,

The system is linux, and the kernel module is the dhd module cywdhd.ko, so not the fmac.

The issue begin with the start of wpa_supplicant daemon. Somewhere, a 15 seconds delay is started.
After a few seconds the wl assoc can return the AP info, but this has no influence on the PM.
If I call wl PM 0 within the 15 seconds PM will revert back to 2 at the end of the delay.
After the 15 sec, wl PM 0 will definitively set the right PM mode 0.

At this time there hasn't been any ip up on ifconfig up nor dhcp.

To work around this issue I launch a background script after all network settings in order to detect the reverting to 2 and then to reset the PM to 0.

Here are the commands:

I always start with wl down, kill wpa, rmmod modules

insmod cfg80211.ko
insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/proprietary/cywdhd.ko firmware_path=/lib/firmware/bcm/bcm43455-7.45.100.9.bin nvram_path=/lib/firmware/bcm/nvram.txt
wl up
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D nl80211 -c /nvdata/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
wl PM 0
wpa_cli -i wlan0 enable 0,
ip link set dev wlan0 up
udhcpc -i wlan0

--> PM will revert back to '2' abount 15 seconds after the wpa_supplicant command

Thanks
Regards,

Jean-Yves

0 Likes

Hi Jean-Yves,  Thank you for the detailed information about the setup, The firmware "bcm43455-7.45.100.9.bin" was released in 2017 and currently all the development and feature additions is made in FMAC drivers example WPA3, Frag attack fixes etc,. Could you please let us know if the design can use the latest FMAC drivers? The drivers can be found in the link -> https://community.cypress.com/t5/Wi-Fi-Bluetooth-for-Linux/Cypress-Linux-WiFi-Driver-Release-FMAC-20... along with instructions to build the .ko files.

Regards, Vivek. 

0 Likes
jean-yves
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Vivek,

As I did not found this case in the community questions there is probably a settings I forgot to apply.

As a case, I want to mention that in dual band with same ssid/psk, when the driver switches to the other band (after a wl disassoc or a stop of the router radio), the power mode is reset to FAST after the same 15 seconds delay.

So I had to start now a permanent background process to correct the PM as soon as it reverts to 2.

Thanks, regards
Jean-Yves

0 Likes

Hi @jean-yves As pointed in the previous comment the dhd firmware that your design is using is old. 

Could you please try with the latest FMAC release and check if the issue still persist?

0 Likes

Hi @Vivek_gunapati I understand and I will upgrade and test FMAC as soon as possible. I am currently stuck with EMC requirement and need temporary to make it working with the powermode workaround.
I will let you know. Thanks.
Regards,
Jean-Yves

0 Likes
Vivek_gunapati

hi @jean-yves , Any update on this issue?

Regards

Vivek.

0 Likes

Hi @Vivek_gunapati  , we had to focus on getting the hardware and software out to start the phones manufacturing, which made me suspend the FMAC changes and live with the workaround (background script that checks the rollback).
Maybe you want to close the issue? np, when it's time for us to resume, I'll just reopen the issue or open a new one, if necessary.
Thank you very much for your support. It is very much appreciated.
Best regards,
Jean-Yves

0 Likes