how to select 2Ghz | 5Ghz networks that have the same ssid (CYW43455)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jean-yves
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi,

I am using the CYW43455 core.

The test router provides both 2Ghz and 5Ghz networks with the same ssid.

The scan returns correctly both networks.

I tryied wl join <ssid> -b <bssid> without success

What is actually the right sequence to select one or the other network then to set up the interface ?

Thanks for the help.

Jean-Yves

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
raks_99
First question asked 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi Jean,

Regarding question 2:

In my setup, I have two APs with the same SSID called "Raks99". One is on channel 11, other is on channel 36. They have different BSSID. Both are open networks. I am not using external supplicant. The wl commands will use in-driver supplicant to associate

I was able to run "wl join Raks99 --bssid=<2g AP bssid>" and "wl join Raks99 --bssid=<5g AP bssid>". Attached are logs on the command sequence I used. I did not use external wpa_supplicant. Can you check them to make sure you are also doing this in a similar way?

If you want to use external supplicant , you can use 

"network={
bssid=aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
psk="password"
}"

And then start the supplicant by running "wpa_supplicant  wpa_supplicant.conf"

You should be able to connect to the target bssid by both ways :

1. Starting the supplicant or

2. By using wl commands

Please check my logs and let me know if you do not observe similar behavior in your setup. After running the wl join command please wait around 5-10secs to make sure we disassociate with the current AP and join the new one

Regarding 3: The bad channel return is probably because you are using a different clm blob version. You can list out your channels by running "wl chanspecs". Using wl chanspec 3 is fine.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
raks_99

Hi Jean,

It looks like you have used the right sequence. In an open network, you should be able to associate with that command alone.

Did you also try with "wl join --bssid=MAC"?

Example command set for joining the open network:

wl down
wl up
wl wsec 0
wl chanspec 36l
wl join AP1
sleep 1
wl assoc

Thanks.

0 Likes
jean-yves
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, thanks for the details !

As I am working with wpa_supplicant I tried the following sequence :

set the wpa_supplicant.conf:

network={
  bssid=<mac1>
  psk=<key>
}

then

wl down
wl up
[here I start the wpa_supplicant daemon]
wl join <ssid> -bssid=<mac1>
sleep1
wl assoc

The assoc by bssid does not work.

What should be the right sequence ?

thanks,

Jean-Yves

0 Likes
raks_99

Is the test network an open-network?

For example for wpa2-network , the commands would look something like this :

wl down
wl chanspec 3l
wl up
wl wsec 3
wl sup_wpa 1
wl wpa_auth 128
wl set_pmk 1234567890
wl join AP1 imode bss amode wpa2psk
sleep 1
wl assoc

Note: When using the wl commands to join, the radio will use the in driver supplicant and not the external supplicant.

If you want to associate with the external supplicant then you can run "wpa_supplicant /path/to/conf/wpa_supplicant.conf"

Thanks

0 Likes
jean-yves
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Raks,

Thanks to your helpful response. Here some answers & questions :

1- Our product will have to adapt to different networks, mostly crypted and rarely opened but we have to take open network.

2- Currently our product can connect to opened/crypted 2.4Gz or 5Ghz wpa2 network using external wpa_supplicant daemon & wpa_supplicant.conf:

network={
ssid="myssid"
psk="mykey"
}

But I am unable to select manually one or the other network by bssid.

I would like to use the external wpa_supplicant.

What would be the right wl sequence to select a specific bssid to connect to ?

3- I tried the sequence you suggested using only driver internal wpa but it did not succeed to select the network by bssid.
Also the wl chanspec 3l does return Bad Channel. I had to use channel 3 (no 'l') to succeed this command.

Thanks, Regards

JY

FYI, I am currently working with your colleague on another issue concerning a bad Power Mode behaviour in that same development (power mode reverts back unexpectively from always awaken mode to fast mode after about 10 seconds)

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
raks_99

Hi Jean,

Regarding question 2:

In my setup, I have two APs with the same SSID called "Raks99". One is on channel 11, other is on channel 36. They have different BSSID. Both are open networks. I am not using external supplicant. The wl commands will use in-driver supplicant to associate

I was able to run "wl join Raks99 --bssid=<2g AP bssid>" and "wl join Raks99 --bssid=<5g AP bssid>". Attached are logs on the command sequence I used. I did not use external wpa_supplicant. Can you check them to make sure you are also doing this in a similar way?

If you want to use external supplicant , you can use 

"network={
bssid=aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
psk="password"
}"

And then start the supplicant by running "wpa_supplicant  wpa_supplicant.conf"

You should be able to connect to the target bssid by both ways :

1. Starting the supplicant or

2. By using wl commands

Please check my logs and let me know if you do not observe similar behavior in your setup. After running the wl join command please wait around 5-10secs to make sure we disassociate with the current AP and join the new one

Regarding 3: The bad channel return is probably because you are using a different clm blob version. You can list out your channels by running "wl chanspecs". Using wl chanspec 3 is fine.

Thanks

0 Likes