The selection of motor FOC driver solution

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
leonkuang
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Dear,

We have a need of motor driver in the medical ventilator, the motor is 24VDC, the highest speed is 40000rpm, is there any recommendation for the IC selection.

Thanks and best regards.

Leon

0 Likes
1 Solution
Krupashankar
500 replies posted 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi @leonkuang,

The motor with hall sensor, but we want to use sensorless control

Yes, Sensorless FOC control is possible with EVAL-M1-101T but it does not support the HALL sensor 

We are using the uart to communicate with the MCU to set or get the motor speed.

Yes  EVAL-M1-101T has a dedicated user UART with that you will be able to control and fetch the speed of the motor

You could refer to iMOTION – MCE – Software Reference Manual v1.3 section 2.3 ( User UART) for commands.

Please let us know if any further clarifications are needed.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Krupashankar

Hi @leonkuang,

Thanks! for posting in Infineon Community.

For the given motor operating voltage of 24V DC, you could consider using the below control and power board

EVAL-M1-05F804R - 3 Phase Inverter (Powerboard) Max power 240W( Without Heat Sink) Input 6V-30V DC

EVAL-M1-101T - Control Board  ( FOC Control) 

Could you please let us know further details on motor maximum current, Motor parameters, and Power requirements of the application this will help us in suggesting a suitable control and power board for your application?

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes

Dear Krupashankar,

Thanks for your reply.

The following is our motor parameter

leonkuang_0-1645006141866.png

The another thing I want to know whether the supply of ICs has any problem.

Thanks,

Leon

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @leonkuang,

For the given motor parameters you could consider using the two boards which we have shared

Could you please provide more details of the motor and application

•  Sensored or sensorless control 
  • PMSM or IPMSM
  • Motor Datasheet  
  • Number of peripherals for communication

In case if you need more peripherals you can consider using EVAL-M1-301F (Control board)  Supports dual core and has more peripherals and dedicated MCU for other operation

Ques: The another thing I want to know is whether the supply of ICs has any problem.

For IC availability could you please contact your local distributor?

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Dear Krupashankar,

The motor datasheet is attached. The motor with hall sensor, but we want to use sensorless control.

Our product is home use ventilator, it uses motor to control the output pressure, while using the speed of motor need to change rapidly to keep target pressure, or change the output pressure rapidly during user from inhalation to exhalation.

We are using the uart to communicate with the MCU to set or get the motor speed.

Thanks.

Leon

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @leonkuang,

The motor with hall sensor, but we want to use sensorless control

Yes, Sensorless FOC control is possible with EVAL-M1-101T but it does not support the HALL sensor 

Yes  EVAL-M1-101T has a dedicated user UART with that you will be able to control and fetch the speed of the motor

You could refer to iMOTION – MCE – Software Reference Manual v1.3 section 2.3 ( User UART) for commands.

Please let us know if any further clarifications are needed.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes
ClaudeSjDevinHe
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted Welcome!

1.Why does the use of FOC control for the back EMF trapezoid not reduce noise and efficiency? In my understanding, the back-EMF is trapezoidal, which makes it easier to detect the zero-crossing point, and it seems to be able to control FOC

2.For my customer's motor, it has low inductance and low resistance. If the FOC control is performed, the over-current protection will be triggered when starting. I want to know if the starting current is very large due to low inductance and low resistance? So can the use of trapezoidal wave control solve the problem of large starting current? why?

3., And the back-EMF coefficient Ke I measured is also very small.If the BEMF of the motor itself is very small, will it make it impossible to use the FOC control mode (due to the inability to change the direction normally)

4.In the FOC control, I know that the BEMF constant and motor phase resistance is very important ,But I don't know how they affect the work of the motor, can you explain it to me in detail?

Thank you again for your kindly help!

0 Likes