some USIC questions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello,
I'm just trying to understand how to configure an USIC channel to work as SPI master. I know that this USIC peripheral is very powerful and thus hard to understand. For me it would be much easier to understand documentation if terms used, would have been introduced before the term is used.

* What is a "data handler" in terms of USIC? When I search over the whole XMC4100/4200 reference manual, I found the term two times (in the definition of the SCTR register).

...the value can be updated automatically by the data handler.

sounds to me like there is a way to install some kind of callback. Is this possible?

* What does MSLS mean (goggling for SSC MSLS just leads to infineon documentation)?

The term is used serval times. My understand is that it is some kind of internal chip select signal that is used to generate external chip select signals and to enable shifting in data from the MISO pin. Right? (maybe Master Slave Line Select? 😉

kind regards,
Torsten
0 Likes
2 Replies
chismo
Employee
Employee
First like received
Hi Torsten,

1) Data handler
The data handler refers to the internal logic of the USIC that takes care of data shifts and related control signals.
I agree that it is a bit confusing to introduce such a term. It would have been clearer if the generic term "USIC channel" is used instead.
For example:
"...the value can be updated automatically by the USIC channel."

2) MSLS
The definition of MSLS is given in the SSC sub-section on Slave Select Signals.
"In master mode, a master slave select signal MSLS is generated by the internal slave
select generator..."

Your understanding of it as an internal chip select signal is correct.
The difference compared to the external chip select signals SELOx is that SELOx can take the inverted form of MSLS by configuring the register bit PCR.SELINV.

Regards,
Min Wei
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Min Wei,
thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense to me. So MSLS is the abbreviation of "Master Slave seLect Signal".

kind regards,

Torsten
0 Likes