Xmc4500 Relax Kit documentation suggestion re X1, X2 assigments

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi
I recently did a board design to plug into the X1 and X2 connectors. I thought I had everything covered for my application, but on reading the circuit design included with "Board_Users_Manual_XMC4500_Relax_Kit-V1_R1.1_released.pdf" I found I had used pins that were connected not only to the XMC4500 (as defined by Figure 5) but also connected to the peripherals. This meant I had a couple of problems:
1) P1.15 could not be used for the external clock output because is was shared with button 2, and had a 100nF capacitor to ground so any signal that was output would be attenuated [P0.8 can be used for external clock output];
2) P1.2 (and others) were shared with the SPI Flash device so I might not be able to use them as o/p.

The manual does not indicate in the table (Figure 5) or the device mapping (Figure 6) that devices are actually wired to some of the pins of X2 - at least for the full Relax kit, the Lite Kit version does not have some devices fitted. My suggestion is the information in the tables be extended to indicate what pins are shared.
For your info:
X2.20 = Port 1.1 = LED1 (i.e. the full 2mA load, or ~2V clip of input signal)
X2.21 = Port 1.0 = LED2 (i.e. the full 2mA load, or ~2V clip of input signal)
X2.10 = Port 1.15 = Button 2 (with a 100nF cap in parallel)
X2.11 = Port 1.14 = Button 1 (with a 100nF cap in parallel)

USIC0, Ch 0, i.e. UART-2, I2C-Master 2, SPI-Master3, CAN-2, I2S-Master2:
X2.19 = Port 1.2 = SPI Flash HOLD#
X2.23 = Port 1.8 = SPI Flash CS#
X2.15 = Port 1.10 = SPI Flash CLK [SPI-Master3 SCLK]
X2.16 = Port 1.5 = SPI Flash DI [SPI-Master3 MOSI]
X2.17 = Port 1.4 = SPI Flash DO [SPI-Master3 MISO]
X2.18 = Port 1.3 = SPI Flash WP#
0 Likes
1 Reply
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
Hi SharmanJ,

1) P1.15 could not be used for the external clock output because is was shared with button 2,
Travis: Maybe you can consider to desolder component R5(10K) and C24(100nF) to make P1.15 as an output port. Alternatively you can use P0.8

2) P1.2 (and others) were shared with the SPI Flash device so I might not be able to use them as o/p.
Travis: Are you able to use other GPIO port pins?

Lastly I will feedback your suggestion to the hardware designer to improve our document presentation.

Best Regards
Travis
0 Likes