XMC4800 - 32 bit counter down direction

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User20456
Level 1
Level 1
25 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 sign-ins
Hi,
I'm using Dave 4 to implement a 32 bit counter, that counts the waveform generated by a PWM. I need the 32 bit counter count in both directions: first upwards and then downwards. I linked 2 16-bit timers on CCU4 by setting TCE=1. Everything works fine in upwards direction, but downwards only the first counter (less significant) counts correctly; the upper 16 bits move downwards, but seems decrementing randomly.
Could you please provide a little example? Unfortunately I'm not able to download any attached file from your forum, I cannot guess why.

Thank you

Best Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
ncbs
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @User20456,

Upon further investigation, the following was found out:

The counting direction of the concatenated timer is fixed in the start and the timer can then either count up or count down but the direction cannot be updated on the fly. This can be found out on page 23-51 in XMC4700 XMC4800 Reference Manual

ncbs_0-1648186381913.png

The counting scheme is done by the hardware and cannot be changed. The CCU4yCMC.TCE bitfield enables concatenation of slices and configuration for HW is done automatically internally with an edge-aligned mode timer.

So this means the timer slice containing the LSBs should always have the TCE bitfield set to 0 and the MSB slice will have the TCE bit field set to 1. Section 23.2.9 Timer Concatenation in XMC4700 XMC4800 Reference Manual describes about the CCU4yCMC.TCE bitfield.

In order to have both the up-counting and down counting operational, 2 CCU4 slices can be configured for up-counting and 2 other CCU4 slices can be configured to perform down-counting.

Thanks and regards,
Nikhil

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
ncbs

Hi @User20456,

The following thread may be useful for your project. Do take a look into it:

https://community.infineon.com/t5/DAVE/How-to-implement-32bit-free-running-hardware-timer-with-XMC/t...

Regards,
Nikhil

0 Likes
User20456
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In my opinion the timer concatenation does not work properly while the counter are counting downwards. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Which events should be connected to the concatenated counter (that is the higher 16 bits of my 32 bits counter)? I guess that the direction shouldn't be connected (CMC.UDS). Which event should be connected to CMC.CNTS in the higher 16 bit counter? The same that in the lower 16bits?

I found a solution that seems to work without concatenation. Status bit of lower counter connected to CMC.CNTS of higher counter. CMC.UDS of both counters connected to the same event (in my case a pin). Both counters are in edge aligned mode, compare mode, PR=PRS=CR=CRS=0xFFFF. What do you think about? 

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ncbs

Hi @User20456 ,

Find the project attached below.

The project implements a 32-bit counter capable of both up and down counting. PWM signal is generated from a CCU4 slice and is used as a trigger for the counting operation. 2 CCU4 slices are concatenated. The lower CCU4 slice receives the PWM signal. The direction of counting is controlled by setting the voltage level on COUNT_DIRECTION pin. 

By default, up cunting is performed. If COUNT_DIRECTION is driven high, then down counting is implemented.

Best regards,
Nikhil

0 Likes
lock attach
User20456
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I applied the example you provided on my board, but I see the same problem. As you can see from the snapshots below, even while the low counter is at steady zero, the high counter counts free-running; this happens only in case of downwards direction.

0 Likes
ncbs

Hi @User20456,

ncbs_3-1638354361355.png

CCU4_Pulse is a CCU4 slice that generates a pulse train. This will be used to trigger the counting operation in the (CCU4_L + CCU4_H) counter. Pulse_out and Pulse_in need to be connected externally. Connect P3.10 (Pulse_out) to P1.10 (Pulse_in) externally. 

Observe the UART log using any terminal emulator (eg:TeraTerm). The logs print the value of the TIMER register of the CCU4 slices. Here are the UART parameters:

• Baud rate: 115200 bps
  • Data bits: 8 bits
  • Stop bits: 1 bit
  • Parity selection: No parity

Up-counting:

During up-counting (default operation), the logs appear as follows:

ncbs_1-1638353844829.png

Down-counting:

For down-counting operation, uncomment the following code in main.c :

DIGITAL_IO_SetOutputHigh(&COUNT_DIRECTION);

The UART logs for down-counting appear as shown below:

ncbs_2-1638354102442.png

Regards,
Nikhil

0 Likes
ncbs

Have you missed the external connection to be done while adopting to your board?

Do check it once.

Have the properties of the direction counting in CCU4 GUI been done properly?

Regards,
Nikhil

0 Likes
lock attach
User20456
Level 1
Level 1

Hi have run your example as is, directly on a Relax Kit board for XMC4700/4800. Here, intentionally I don't connect pulse in and pulse out, to be sure that the counters should not run. As you can see from the snapshots catched in a debug session, when the counters count downwards (DIGITAL_IO_SetOutputHigh(&COUNT_DIRECTION) uncommented), the high counter counts free-running. Am I missing something?

0 Likes
User20456
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

do you have any news?

Regards

0 Likes
ncbs

Hi @User20456,

Upon further investigation, the following was found out:

The counting direction of the concatenated timer is fixed in the start and the timer can then either count up or count down but the direction cannot be updated on the fly. This can be found out on page 23-51 in XMC4700 XMC4800 Reference Manual

ncbs_0-1648186381913.png

The counting scheme is done by the hardware and cannot be changed. The CCU4yCMC.TCE bitfield enables concatenation of slices and configuration for HW is done automatically internally with an edge-aligned mode timer.

So this means the timer slice containing the LSBs should always have the TCE bitfield set to 0 and the MSB slice will have the TCE bit field set to 1. Section 23.2.9 Timer Concatenation in XMC4700 XMC4800 Reference Manual describes about the CCU4yCMC.TCE bitfield.

In order to have both the up-counting and down counting operational, 2 CCU4 slices can be configured for up-counting and 2 other CCU4 slices can be configured to perform down-counting.

Thanks and regards,
Nikhil

0 Likes