XMC4500, SWD/JTAG initialization fails

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello,

I copied the debug-interface of the Relax-Lite-Kit for my own PCB, because I wanted to make use of the included debugger.
I have the XMC4500 F100F1024 Step AB

Now the Problem:
With Dave3, the debugging ends with an "improper connection or initialization"-error.

After checking with Segger J-Link, I come to the following conclusion:
To download to flash, I need to specify XMC4500 as the debugging target. J-Link then attempts to send an initialization-sequence.
-With the original relax-kit, this works fine. After the sequence, I can write to flash.
-With the self-designed board, the sequence is of no use.

With Memtool+ASC-Bootloader I can download programs, so I know the chip is working...

So, is there anything I have missed concerning debugging via SWD/JTAG and the included debugger?
Debugging via ASC-Bootloader is not really an acceptable environment for the developement of larger programs, so I hope that someone can help me.

Regards
Dominik
0 Likes
5 Replies
Not applicable
Hi Dominik,

Did you have the TMS pull up?
You need to have TCK = 0, TMS = 1 in order for the device to go into Normal mode.
Then, it can be debug via JTAG/SWD.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jackson,

thank you for the fast reply.
TMS & TCK are both directly connected to the debug-IC. So it should be up to the debugger to set up the correct mode. This part of the ciruit is the same on both the Relax-Kit-Lite and my PCB.
Without the debugger, TMS & TCK are left unconnected and the XMC starts in normal mode. (according to the weak pull-down@TCK and the weak pull-up@TMS)

Regards
Dominik
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Dominik,

Can you open the Segger J-Link Commander and see what is the indicated error when you connect to your own board?
0 Likes
Not applicable
I am facing the same problem, is there any solution?
0 Likes
Not applicable
hi,
make sure that a pull up is connected to TMS and pull down is to TCK. check the signals from TMS and TCK through Oscilloscope. make sure the voltage range is 3.0v to 3.3v
if the above criteria was matched probably there was no error with hardware circutary. hope this info could be useful.

Thanks and Regards,
Harshan
0 Likes