Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User10000
Level 1
Level 1
Hi.

Now I have some problrms using CAN port of XMC4500(144-LQFP) and MDK-ARM 5
(port1 : P1.4, P1.5 port2 : P2.6, P2.7 port3 : P1.8, P1.9).

Transmitting to empty port(no node connected) ALERT bit of NSR register set(one)
and TEC value of NECNT register reach to 0x80.

Addtional transmission makes software upset.

How can I avoid software upset and how can I reset CAN port error without power off?

Please help me.

Best Regards.
0 Likes
6 Replies
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
You can clear the error status flag and stop the transmission?
0 Likes
User10000
Level 1
Level 1
Hi. Travis.

Thank you for your response.
After connecting the nodes to the CAN port without turning off the power in the error state
I must continue to transmit data.

And the TEC value of NECNT is not clear even after the CCE of NCR is set

Is there no way to recover the CAN port error without turning off the power.

Best regards.
0 Likes
User10000
Level 1
Level 1
Hi. Travis.

After CCE bit set, error status can be cleared.
But data transmission is impossible through error happened port without power off/on.

This problem is critical to me.
If there is no way to resolve this issue I must redesign circuit and firmware with other microcontroller.

Please help me.

Best regards.
0 Likes
Not applicable
do-yoon Ahn wrote:

Transmitting to empty port(no node connected) ALERT bit of NSR register set(one)
and TEC value of NECNT register reach to 0x80.

That is the normal behavior of a CAN node according to ISO11898

do-yoon Ahn wrote:

Addtional transmission makes software upset.

Because the behavior of the CAN controller is correct, it is your software what fails. You have to handle the Error Passive situation of the CAN controller without loosing control.
0 Likes
Not applicable
do-yoon Ahn wrote:

This problem is critical to me.
If there is no way to resolve this issue I must redesign circuit and firmware with other microcontroller.

Every other micro controller will behave the same. Using another microcontroller or CAN controller will not solve your problem. You have to understand how the CAN controller is working. I have done many projects using Infineon CAN products and always was satified (at least at the end of the development).
Heinz
0 Likes
User10000
Level 1
Level 1
Hi. Heinz.

Thanks for your advices.

I understand that the set of error status bits and software failure due to continuous transmissions are normal behabior of CAN node.

What I want to know is how to recover the CAN port error without turning off the power of CAN port (control register setting or initialization etc. )

Best regards.
0 Likes